Asia Design Forum Summer Session 2005
Asia Design Forum Summer Session 2005 (ADFSS05)
30 July to 20 August 2005
An international summer session in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia will be
organised by Asia Design Forum from 30 July to 20 August in Kuala
Lumpur for graduate architects, senior students and students.
The summer session will consist of the following:
* Key Note Lectures series by key note star architects (2 to 4 per week),
* Studio assignment for a site in Kuala Lumpur (at the multi-media
super corridor (MSC) city of Cyberjaya),
* Topical lectures by expert speakers (on skyscraper design,
conservation, critical regionalism, planning and urbanism in Asian
cities, bioclimatic design, design management, improving CAD 3D
* Architectural tours (to the KLCC Towers - the tallest twin towers
in the world, Putrajaya - Malaysia's new Capitol City, Cyberjaya -
the Multi Media Super Corridor township, the KL Telcommunications
* Visits to architects' offices,
* Architectural evenings.
The event's intentions are to enable international and Asian students
to experience and learn about Asian urbanism and architecture.
At the end of the session, each participant will have achieved the following:
* Attended a series of lectures by a number of international and
local star speakers on topics related to their work and to the region,
* Attended a series of topical lectures of local interest,
* Completed a design studio assignment under the critique and
tutoring of some of the star architects (for which a Certificate will
be awarded for those who have passed the project review),
* Visited key buildings and structures in the locality,
* Visited to observed the offices and operations of some of the local
* Interacted with students and architects from the region and elsewhere.
Confirmed speakers include:
* Kisho Kurokawa (Japan)
* Will Alsop (UK),
* Peter Droege (Australia) on Post-fossil Fuel Urbanism
* Rene Tan (Singapore),
* Claude Berube (Canada), on Design Management
* Huat Lim (Malaysia),
* Anthony Wood (University of Nottingham) on 'Skyscraper Design', and
on 'Asian Cities'
* Raymond Yeh (University of Hawaii),
* Yuichiro Kodama (Japan) on "Bioclimatic and Passive Mode Design"
* Nader Ardalan (Kuwait)
The costs of attendance (inclusive of accommodation (sharing) and
meals) per Australian participant / student is $3,000 (at $1,000 per
week) excluding travel.
The students can elect to participate for only 1 week (at $1,000) or
for 2 weeks ($2,000).
A reduced fee is offered to students from Malaysia and Singapore
The event will be held at the premises and studios of PJ College of
Art and Design (PJCAD) in PJ, Selangor. PJCAD has the usual
architectural school's facilities (e.g. colour printers, internet
access, lecture rooms, etc.).
Large audience Key Note lectures will be held at the conference hall
of the PJ Hilton Hotel (opposite the school).
The event is accredited and supported by the Government of Malaysia's
Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia, and those registered architects attending
will receive 6 CPD points.
Confirmed participating students are from: University of Southern
California (USA), Deakin University (Australia), University of Malaya.
For more information on registration, posters and brochures, please contact:
Ms. Karen Chin,
Coordinator and Adminstrator,
Asia executive Programmes sdn.BHd.
Plaza Mont Kiara, Mont J+Kiara , 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel. +603 62032009
Fax. +603 62-35030