Make social justice a part of your holidays

  • Christopher Lepe
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2004

      Dear Friends,

      As many of us are working on issues of social justice, environment, labor, and immigration, I want to extend to you an opportunity to help small farmers in Latin America be more economically self sufficient so that they do not have to be uprooted from their communities and forced to immigrate to foreign and hostile lands.  Several years ago I participated in an internship in a coffee growing community in Costa Rica to help learn about and support the movement for fair trade and environmental sustainability.  Below is more information about this movement and the nonprofit organization that is working towards a more sustainable and socially just society.
      Please visit
      http://www.communityagroecology.net/  for more information and to order coffee directly from these communities.  As the Obispo Samuel Ruiz said, we can change our society to be more socially just through every interaction which we have with others.

      Please forward this message to other interested individuals… if you forward this message to ten friends you will be blessed with… social justice J

      Thank you and happy holidays,

      Sincerely,

      Christopher Lepe

      This holiday season give the coffee-lovers on your list the gift of ecologically sustainable and socially responsible coffee.  The Community Agroecology Network (CAN) is a non-profit organization that creates a direct link between coffee farmers and coffee drinkers.  CAN coffee comes from family farms high in the mountains of
      Costa Rica where some of the world’s finest coffee beans are grown. Steve and I have been working with this community of small-scale coffee growers for many years.  In the past few years we have worked with the community's cooperative and students at UCSC to establish this direct market. We know that purchasing coffee directly from the community makes a BIG difference in their lives--and it is great coffee too!

      CAN farmers harvest, roast, package and mail their beans directly to your door.  Instead of selling their high-quality coffee beans for a meager price through conventional distribution channels, cooperative farmers receive the full price you pay.  The additional revenue stimulates local economies and promotes the transition to more ecologically sustainable methods of production.

      This holiday season give your family and friends a gift that makes a world of difference, buy them CAN coffee!  Give the gift that encourages a healthier environment and a more equitable world.

      Have a very wonderful holiday season.

      Warm regards,
      Robbie
      Jaffe

      Click on www.communityagroecology.net for the order form and more information.

      JOIN THE GLOBAL FARMER’S MARKET—AND TASTE THE DIFFERENCE!