TALC Strategic Planning meetings

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 12/01/2004 01:04 PM -----

      Stuart Cohen <stuart@...>
      12/01/2004 12:36 PM

      TALC activists <stuart@...>
      cc

      Subject
      TIME CLARIFICATION - TALC Strategic Planning

      Transportation And Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      Strategic Planning

      This e-mail has the correct times for TALC'S strategic planning! (On my
      earlier e-mail the hyphens got eliminated and there was inconsistency for
      the Wednesday meetings).
      Best, Stuart

      As part of TALC's strategic planning process, we are convening meetings in
      six topic areas on December 6, 7, and 8. We hope that you'll be able to
      join us to discuss how one or more of these areas of interest might be
      developed into specific TALC campaigns (for 2005-2008).

      Monday, December 6
      1) Increasing transit use and convenience, and promoting alternatives to
      driving 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
      2) Regional gas tax, 1 - 2:30 p.m.

      Tuesday, December 7
      3) A new rail vision for our region, with a special focus on Santa Clara
      County, 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
      4) Regional Smart Growth, 1 - 2:30 p.m.

      Wednesday, December 7
      5) Bay bridge/congestion pricing/west span pathway, 11 - 12:30 p.m.
      6) Bicycle and pedestrian campaigns, 1 - 2:30 p.m.

      A short description of each of these workgroups are provided below. From
      these meetings we will write up campaign proposals that will be brought to

      the regional meeting on December 15. In early January the TALC Board of
      Directors will discuss all of the proposals and decide which issue areas
      merit further exploration. In January and February there will be
      additional discussions on the selected issue areas to develop final
      campaign proposals.

      All meetings are held at the TALC office, 405 14th St. suite 605, Oakland
      Teleconferencing is available, please note the specific info and different

      codes for each meeting. If you have any problems call 510-543-7419.

      RSVPs are appreciated but not required.

      1) Increasing transit use and convenience, and promoting alternatives to
      driving

      driving with the current infrastructure? We will discuss the development
      of campaigns for regional implementation of products such as real-time
      transit
      information, marketing programs like TravelSmart, transit passes, and
      other ways to remove barriers to increased walking, biking, and transit
      use.

      Facilitated by: Rebecca Kaplan

      Monday, December 6, 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
      Please RSVP to Stuart@...
      Teleconference: call 702.835.5000 code-94612

      2) Regional gas tax
      MTC has the authority to put a gas tax of up to ten cents per gallon on a
      regional ballot, and that may happen as early as 2006 or 2008 if the
      conditions are right. Some coalition members have suggested that TALC take

      a leading role on this issue, as we did on regional measure 2. What are
      the potential opportunities, and what are some of the drawbacks of
      focusing
      on this over the next two to four years?

      Facilitated by: Stuart Cohen
      Monday, December 6, 1 - 2:30 p.m.
      Please RSVP to Stuart@...
      Teleconference: call 702.835.5000 code-7403150

      3) A new rail vision for our region, with a special focus on Santa Clara
      County issues.

      of
      our region. A regional rail study is now underway, high-speed rail
      studies
      continue, BART to San Jose clearly needs an alternative proposal, and the
      CalTrain to a new Transbay Terminal is underfunded. We will discuss these

      related issues, and brainstorm potential campaigns that TALC may take on.

      Facilitated by: Margaret Okuzumi
      Tuesday, December 7, 11:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m.
      Please RSVP to okuzumi@...
      Teleconference: call 702.835.5000 code-94612

      4) Regional Smart Growth

      things that have been suggested to us include promoting smart growth near
      transit stations, pushing for agency reform/integration, getting
      additional
      funding for station area plans, and advocacy on state legislation. Help
      us
      identify the campaigns in which TALC's impact can be maximized.

      Facilitated by: Margaret Okuzumi
      Tuesday, December 7, 1 - 2:30 p.m.
      Please RSVP to okuzumi@...
      Teleconference: call 702.835.5000 code-7403150

      5) Bay bridge/congestion pricing/west span pathway
      The Bay Bridge overrun fiasco has created a crisis, as well as some
      opportunities. Should TALC be involved in issues relating to the new
      design? Should we advocate for specific funding mechanism such as
      congestion pricing? If so what specific proposal? Is there a realistic way

      to get the west span pathway included with funding for the cost overruns?

      Facilitated by: Stuart Cohen
      Wednesday, December 8, 11:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m.
      Please RSVP to Stuart@...
      Teleconference: call 702.835.5000 code-94612

      6) Bicycle and pedestrian campaigns
      over the past year TALC has worked with bicycle coalitions throughout the
      Bay Area for funding of the regional bicycle plan as well as the new Safe
      Routes to Transit program. Are there other regional efforts on these
      issues in which TALC can make a difference in the coming years?

      Facilitated by: Deb Hubsmith
      Please RSVP to Stuart@...
      Wednesday, December 8, 1-2:30 p.m.
      Teleconference: call 702.835.5000 code-7403150

      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and
      socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with healthy, vibrant,
      walkable communities that provide all residents with transportation
      choices
      and affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional
      policies, works with community groups to develop alternatives, and
      coordinates grassroots campaigns.

      We rely on donations to provide Coalition Updates, Action Alerts, and
      other
      services. Please consider making a donation to TALC via the secure Donate
      to TALC page of our website at:
      http://www.transcoalition.org/about/about_donate.html, or send a check
      payable to TALC at: 405 14th Street, Suite 605, Oakland, CA 94612.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      TALC List Instructions:
      You received this email because you gave TALC your email address, or
      someone forwarded this message to you.

      include your full mailing address and organization name, phone and fax
      numbers, and indicate what alert you are responding to.

      - to LIMIT to 1-2 emails per month, which includes meeting announcements
      and general newsletters, reply with "Public list only" in the subject line

      - to UNSUBSCRIBE, reply with "No E-mail" in the subject line

      - to be fully REMOVED from our database, reply with "Remove from TALC" in
      the subject line (and please let us know why).

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      .

      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and
      socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with healthy, vibrant,
      walkable communities that provide all residents with transportation
      choices
      and affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional
      policies, works with community groups to develop alternatives, and
      coordinates grassroots campaigns.

      Check out our website at: www.transcoalition.org

      info@...
      510.740.3150 voice