California at 50,000,000: Tues, 11/9,11/16,11/30

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      From: "Christina McMilo" <mcmilo@...>
      To: <jgdawson@...>,<babshad@...>
      Subject: California at 50,000,000
      Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:11:57 -0800

      You are invited to participate in "California at 50,000,000: A Colloquium
      Series on the State's Demographic, Economic and Environmental Future." The
      series began in September and takes place on Tuesdays, 5 to 7 p.m., in Room
      305 Wurster Hall here on the Berkeley campus. Following are the last three
      colloquia of the year; they will resume in late January 2005. Please mark
      your calendars for these colloquia:

      a.. November 9: "Land Use, Housing and Community Development," with
      Manuel Pastor, Center for Justice, Tolerance and Community, UC Santa Cruz;
      John Landis, Chair of UCB City and Regional Planning; and Mark Pisano,
      Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG).

      b.. November 16: "Water Policy," with Tom Graff, Environmental Defense;
      Stephanie Pincetl, UCLA's Institute of the Environment; and David Fullerton,
      Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.

      c.. November 30: "Water Resources and Climate Change," with Daniel
      Cayan, Scripps Institution of Oceanography; and Michael Hanemann,
      Agriculture & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.

      California's population is projected to reach 50 million between 2025 and
      2030, requiring massive infrastructure investment in schools, roads, water
      and wastewater systems, etc. There has been little systematic analysis to
      estimate the scale of needed investments and to identify options for more
      effectively delivering and managing critical state and local services,
      infrastructure, and development. How much and what kind of investment is
      needed over the next 20 to 25 years, and how can we preserve and protect our
      natural resources? Each colloquium has led to valuable discussion among
      participants, and we are well on our way to building a community of interest
      around California's long-term growth and future quality of life for its
      residents.

      We hope you can attend these sessions. See our website at
      http://www-iurd.ced.berkeley.edu/californiaat50million; or contact Janet
      Dawson, 510/642-6579 (jgdawson@...) for more information.

      Christina McMilo
      Assistant Series Coordinator