----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 10/07/2004 10:40 AM -----
Sustainable Development Program Coordinator Position Description
WEDO is an international women's human rights and development organization
that seeks to achieve women's full equality. WEDO uses four interlinked
strategies to achieve this goal: advocacy and monitoring in key global
forums, particularly the United Nations; supporting advocacy efforts of
women's organizations at the national and regional levels; building broad
strategic alliances within civil society to hold governments accountable;
and engaging US women on foreign policy and global issues. Our four
programs are: sustainable development, gender and global governance,
economic & social justice, and US foreign policy.
WEDO seeks a Sustainable Development (SD) Program Coordinator to undertake
our SD work. Our upcoming SD work is focused on the Commission on
Sustainable Development, the Beijing+10 review, and the Millennium
Development Goals. A primary focus has been on linking gender, poverty,
water. Under the supervision of WEDO's Deputy Director, and in
collaboration with other WEDO staff, the SD coordinator will
* Help develop SD program focus, objectives and activities.
* Help develop and implement collaborative cross-program
* Conduct research and analyses on sustainable development issues,
prepare reports and other advocacy documents and keep abreast of trends in
* Develop and maintain relationships with WEDO regional partners
build strategic alliances with other women's rights, human rights,
environmental and economic/social justice groups.
* Monitor work at the UN Commission on Sustainable Development and
* Represent WEDO at the UN and other regional and international
events related to SD.
* Coordinate electronic network, through listserv and WEDO website.
* Recruit and supervise interns.
The idea candidate will have:
* A Master's degree in sustainable development, international
development, environment, public policy or related field;
* Experience (+3 years) in working on gender/sustainable
or related issues;
* Experience working in or with NGOs, in particular with women's
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
fluency in Spanish preferred;
* Familiarity and/or experience with UN or other global advocacy
Position is based at WEDO's offices in New York. WEDO offers competitive
salary/benefits. WEDO is an equal opportunity employer, and will not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion,
age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital or
Please send cover letter and resumes (by email preferred) by October 18 to
> or to
Women's Environment & Development Organization
355 Lexington Ave, Third Floor
New York, NY 10017
No calls, please.