Planners Network: The newly forming Bay Area chapter:

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2004
      Planners Network: The newly forming bay area chapter:

      The Planners Network is a national association of professionals,
      activists, academics, and students who are involved in physical, social,
      economic, and environmental planning in urban and rural areas and who
      promote fundamental change in our political and economic systems.

      This will be the third meeting of a group that is forming a Bay Area
      chapter of Planner's Network (www.plannersnetwork.org). (Chapters already
      exist in New York City, at the University of Michigan, in
      Toronto, and a handful of other cities).

      STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES:

      We believe that planning should be a tool for allocating resources and
      developing the environment to eliminate the great inequalities of wealth
      and power in our society, rather than to maintain and justify the status
      quo. We are committed to opposing racial, economic, and environmental
      injustice and discrimination by gender and sexual orientation. We believe
      that planning should be used to assure adequate food, clothing, housing,
      medical care, jobs, safe working conditions, and a healthful environment.
      We advocate public responsibility for meeting these needs, because the
      private market has proven incapable of doing so. We seek to be an
      effective political and social force, working with other progressive
      organizations to inform public opinion and public policy and to provide
      assistance to those seeking to understand, control, and change the forces
      that affect their lives.

      NEXT MEETING:

      Come get involved with this nascent organization. We are looking for a
      diverse
      group of young professionals and planning students.

      September 21, 7:30 PM
      Offices of M. R. Wolfe & Associates

      140 Second Street, 6th Floor , San Francisco
      (between Mission and Howard, above 111 Minna gallery, near Montgomery
      BART)
      Refreshments provided.

      AGENDA ITEMS:

      Planning a Planning Disorientation event
      Selecting leadership and student reps
      Developing an agenda
      o the 2004 presidential election: Swing State Campaign
      o anti Wal-Mart campaign and other policy initiatives
      expanding outreach

      FOR MORE INFORMATION:

      Email:

      Karen Chapple, professor of city and regional planning at
      UCBerkeley:chapple@...
      Fernando Martí, outreach committee: fmarti@...
      Jess Wendover, outreach committee: jess@...

      Listserv: