5982Internship: City of San Jose DOT
- Jul 30, 2014
About the Department The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The City's Department of Transportation is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) plans, develops, operates, and maintains transportation facilities, services, and related systems which contribute to the livability and economic health of the City. We comprise a team of more than 400 people ready to serve the needs of our customers to improve the efficiency and safety of San José streets. For more information about DOT, visit www.sanjoseca.gov/transportation.
Position and Duties The City of San José-Department of Transportation is currently recruiting to fill two vacant Engineering Intern positions in the Infrastructure Maintenance Division. This position provides critical support to the Pavement Engineering section and its maintenance program, which contains a street network of 2400 miles. The work requires a highly motivated and energetic individual. The main duty will include performing sub-professional engineering work of various difficulties under the immediate supervision of an Engineer.
The ideal candidate will have a high level of proficiency with MS Excel, an understanding of database management, and the ability to analyze large amounts of data in producing reports. The essential duties of this Engineering Intern position in the Infrastructure Maintenance (IM) Division include:
- Assisting in field inspections for various pavement projects
- Gathering contract quantities, coordinating with contractors, and ensuring QA/QC on projects
- Administering material submittals from contractors throughout construction operations
- Performing quantity takeoffs from construction set of plans
- Investigating and responding to concerns from residents
- Other duties as required
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Minimum Qualifications Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
EDUCATION: Successful completion of high school, General Education Development (G.E.D.) Certificate, or California Proficiency Certificate AND CURRENT ENROLLMENT at the time of application and during the term of employment in an accredited college or university is required.
EXPERIENCE: No minimum requirement.
LICENSES: Possession of a valid Class C driver's license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the state of California is required.
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
Competencies The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
JOB EXPERTISE - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical engineering principles and practices; demonstrates ability to learn Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Enrolled in an undergrad or graduate Civil Engineering program or closely related field.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS - communicates and listens effectively; responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, well-organized, and in proper grammatical form.
COMPUTER SKILLS - proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel; ability to learn GIS software and project scheduling software; knowledge of AutoCAD/MicroStation; experience working with Google Earth is highly desirable.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
DECISION MAKING - identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
RELIABILITY - completes quality work assignments in a timely and accurate manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
TEAM WORK & INTERPERSONAL SKILLS - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors; helping others accomplish tasks using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
CONSTRUCTIVE ENERGIES - a demonstration of energy and drive that comes from within, and a willingness to approach all aspects of work with a generally positive attitude; inclination to take appropriate action rather than waiting to be told what to do.
Selection Process The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions in the online application process:
1. Do you possess a high school diploma or a General Educational Development (GED) Certificate or a California Proficiency Certificate?
2. Are you currently enrolled in an accredited college or university with a major in Civil Engineering or a closely related field? If yes, list the college or university name and location, Major, units earned and any degrees earned.
3. Do you possess a valid California Driver's License?
4. Please select your proficiency level with MS Word: EXPERT - could teach others how to use, HIGHLY PROFICIENT - comfortable with more complex aspects & features of program, PROFICIENT - able to use basic features of program only, NONE - no experience. If you have Word experience, provide a brief justification for your self assessment.
5. Please select your proficiency level with MS Excel: EXPERT - could teach others how to use, HIGHLY PROFICIENT - comfortable with more complex aspects & features of program, PROFICIENT - able to use basic features of program only, NONE - no experience. If you have Excel experience, provide a brief justification for your self assessment.
6. Do you have experience with ArcGIS software, Google Earth, or any other mapping technologies? If yes, please describe.
7. Do you have experience working effectively in a team environment? If yes, please describe what your role was, any major tasks you were responsible for, and any obstacles or conflicts you faced.
8. Do you have any field experience working on the street, in traffic, or in a construction zone? If yes, please describe your specific experience. Please include in your description the knowledge and skills you have gained and indicate your comfort level with field work.
9. Have you ever gone beyond what was normally expected of you in order to deal with a situation or complete an assignment either at school, work, or home? If yes, please describe.
10. Have you ever been required to deal with a difficult or irate customer? If yes, please describe the circumstance. If you were able to resolve the issue, what method(s) did you use to diffuse the situation?
You may answer these questions directly in the on-line application system (Save frequently) or on a separate document and then copy and paste your answers into the appropriate spaces when prompted.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment please contact Katherine Berryhill, DOT HR Staff Specialist, at katherine.berryhill@... or 408.535.5656. For information regarding the job duties please contact Ramon Montenegro at ramon.montenegro@... or 408.794.1958.
Application Instructions Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration. If you do submit a resume, please save and submit as either a .doc or .pdf format and not .docx or zipped file.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @....
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@... and we will research the status of your application.