5634FT Job, GIS Technicians, Marstel-Day, LLC, Oakland
- Oct 24, 2013
Start Date: Nov 18, 2013
Marstel-Day, LLC, an environmental/conservation consulting and planning firm, seeks highly motivated GIS Technicians with a strong commitment to a conservation ethic, a strong desire to identify and support strategies for community planning and natural resource conservation, and a commitment to use "green" best management practices in the performance of their work on a variety of projects, primarily in support of the company's planning, environmental and natural resource, and sustainability efforts. The company intends to hire one or more GIS Technicians for full time employment depending on the number of well qualified applicants and the company’s work load.
The selected GIS Technicians will work on one or more projects under the guidance of staff members and also independently, depending on the specific project(s). In addition to possessing a strong conservation ethic, a GIS Technician candidate must be comfortable with spatial applications and analyses and have experience producing maps and visualizations using GIS software. Each GIS Technician will function as a technician/specialist and should have training in geography/cartography, and be well versed working with spatial datasets, including the application of analysis tools. Specifically, each GIS Technician will work with ESRI ArcGIS® software and have working knowledge of Model Builder® or scripting languages (Python® and VBA®). Overall, each GIS Technician should have strong skills in cartographic design, analytical geography, and communication, including strong writing skills.
Essential Functions Description
The incumbent will normally work in an indoor, climate controlled work station or office, occasionally be required to travel between various work stations and/or offices to coordinate work, may be required to attend public meetings, and may undertake airline travel to professional development or staff meetings off site. Incumbent will be required to craft written communication, including use of e-mail and other electronic reproduction of words, graphs, maps, and photos. Incumbent will be required to frequently use and be proficient with computers, computer software programs, telephones and mobile communication devices, copy machines and printers.
Education, Experience, and Training
To be strongly considered, a GIS Technician candidate must:
• Possess a strong commitment to a conservation ethic and a strong desire to identify and support strategies for local government planning, natural resource conservation; and a commitment to use green best management practices in the performance of work.
• Have a BA/BS degree from an accredited institution and have a minimum of two years of applicable GIS work experience. Possession of a Master’s degree or significant hours toward a Master’s involving significant use of GIS is a plus. Applicant’s degree(s) should be in one of the following fields: Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Community Planning (or Urban and Regional), Information Technology, Environmental Science, or other related disciplines.
• Maintain working knowledge of applicable standards. SDSFIE, OGC, and FGDC are highly desired.
• Have worked with ESRI ArcGIS®. Advanced training or experience in Visual Basic®, Python®, or other GIS related scripting language is also valuable.
• Have strong oral and written communication skills, including geospatial technical writing and documentation.
• Have the demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams.
• Possess strong attention-to-detail, initiative, and self-motivation.
• Have strong organizational skills.
• Be legally eligible to work in the U.S. (DHS form I-9 must be completed by incumbent and submitted to DHS for verification through federal e-Verify system).
• Submit to a criminal background check as a condition of any final offer of employment
The salary range for these positions is $38,000 - $45,000, and the final salary offered each candidate will be commensurate with the candidate’s level of education and experience. The Company’s benefits include personal leave and paid holidays, healthcare plans, disability and other insurance benefits, and access to a company 401(k) plan.
Duty Station and Residency
• The incumbent's primary duty station will be in one of the Company’s offices West Coast offices (located in Oakland, CA and Oceanside, CA).
• Residence within, or willingness to relocate to, a federally designated HUBZone census tract within reasonable commuting distance of the assigned duty station is a plus (go to www.sba.gov/hubzone for more information on this requirement). A relocation reimbursement may be considered.
If reading this open position announcement on our Company’s website employment page, follow the instructions provided on the employment page. If viewing this announcement on another independent employment web site, there may be additional site requirements that are necessary for submittal of an application. If reading this announcement offline or on a site that does not link to our webpage, go to <https://marstel-daycareers.silkroad.com>. Please follow all instructions and directions provided on the Company’s employment page. Submittals that do not include all of the required items will not be considered complete.
Essential Functions Description
The incumbent will normally work in an indoor, climate controlled work station or office, but be frequently required to travel to various other sites and/or offices which may not be climate controlled; to manage and coordinate work by scheduling and undertaking frequent airline, train or vehicle travel. Incumbent will be required to frequently organize and coordinate schedules, analyze and interpret data, and engage in fast-moving problem solving; communicate quickly and precisely with coworkers and clients, craft written communication including the use of e-mail and other electronic reproduction of words, graphs, and photos. Incumbent will be required to make regular use of and be proficient with computers, computer software, telephones, mobile communication devices, copy machines and printers.
Contact: Robin Hayden