5575Call for Posters - Maps that Lay Bare Their Point of View (for symposium Mapping and its Discontents, UC Berkeley, 11/1)

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    Sep 23, 2013
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Susan Moffat <susanmoffat@...>
      Date: Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM
      Subject: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FROM ALL DISCIPLINES--Wanted: Maps that Lay Bare Their Point of View

      PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY

      WANTED: SEE-THROUGH MAPS: MAPS THAT LAY BARE THEIR POINT OF VIEW

      All entries welcome: student submissions strongly encouraged

      DUE OCTOBER 7, 2013

      Exhibit sponsored by the Global Urban Humanities Initiative, UC Berkeley

      MAPPING AND ITS DISCONTENTS is a symposium to be held November 1, 2013 at UC Berkeley.  As part of the symposium, we are soliciting posters presenting recently-made maps that address some of the central questions being addressed by our speakers.

      Is a map a mirror?

      Is it a window?

      Is it a guide?

      Is it an analytic tool?

      Is it propaganda?

      Is it eye candy?

      Is it a work of art?

      Something else?

      At the symposium, we will be discussing the position of the mapmaker, the ways maps reveal or hide their agendas, and the uses to which maps are put.  For a list of speakers and information on the symposium, visit globalurbanhumanities@....

      For the accompanying on-line and print poster exhibit, we are seeking maps that raise or address these and other related questions.  We also welcome map critiques and map mashups in poster form.

      Submissions will be selected on the quality of the map and poster concept as well as of the accompanying one-page essay reflecting on the map. In the case of the map critique, selections will be made based on the thoughtfulness of the critique.

      Selected posters will be displayed on the UC Berkeley Global Urban Humanities website and in some case in hard copy at the symposium.  Both interactive maps that are designed for online viewing and maps suitable for print presentation are welcomed.

      We are seeking a variety of maps from a wide range of disciplines, including geography, music, literary studies, city planning, the sciences, social sciences, and art.  We are looking for projects that use methods from traditional cartography to GIS to literary mapping to new media to idiosyncratic approaches.

      Eligibility: students, faculty, artists, and professionals may submit maps.

      How to submit:  visit http://globalurbanhumanities.berkeley.edu/events/mapping-and-its-discontents for more information.

      Timeline

      Online submissions due: October 7

      Selections announced: October 25

      Projects displayed: by November 1

      The Global Urban Humanities Initiative is a joint venture of the UC Berkeley College of Environmental Design and the Arts & Humanities Division, College of Letters & Science.  Information available at globalurbanhumanities@....