5491FT-Oakland-ChangeLab Solutions(formerly Public Health Law & Policy) - Planner

  • urbpmup
    Jul 12, 2013
      Planner/Policy Analyst
      About ChangeLab Solutions
      ChangeLab Solutions (formerly Public Health Law & Policy) provides community-based
      solutions for America’s most common and preventable diseases like cancer, heart
      disease, diabetes, obesity and asthma. We believe that achieving the common good
      means everyone has nourishing food; safe places to live and play; plenty of opportunities
      to bike, walk, or take transit; fresh water; and clean air indoors and out.
      ChangeLab Solutions holds a vision of renewed social and economic systems,
      institutions, and environments that maximize health for all, especially for those with the
      least resources. This vision is centered on a “health in all policies” strategy that promotes
      improved health outcomes throughout the fabric of community life.
      Our mission is to promote the common good by developing laws and policies that link all
      aspects of community life â€" housing, education, jobs, the economy, the environment â€" to
      healthy outcomes. We are dedicated to creating efficient public services and building new
      partnerships. And we are committed to an enduring vision of public health as a state of
      complete physical, mental, and social well-being for the entire population.
      Our approach is fiscally responsible, promoting evidence-based strategies that account
      for generational health and sustainable communities. As health care costs overwhelm
      both public financing and private businesses, ChangeLab Solutions retools public
      infrastructure to promote health, prevent disease, and save money. In California alone,
      our work in tobacco control has helped save $86 billion in health care costs and resulted
      in 25 percent fewer lung cancer deaths than other states.
      Our unique niche is to develop and provide multi-disciplinary legal and policy tools that
      improve health outcomes. We draft model laws and policies based on the best scientific
      evidence, publish comprehensive “how to” guides to empower state and local leadership,
      engage in tailored training and technical assistance activities, and annually respond to
      thousands of inquiries from the field.
      For more information, visit our website at www.changelabsolutions.org.
      Position Description
      ChangeLab Solutions seeks a talented, highly motivated professional with planning or
      public policy training and experience to develop policy solutions to public health
      challenges, with particular emphasis on improving access to healthy foods. The
      planner/policy analyst will conduct research on best practices around a range of issues
      and policies, as well as develop customized trainings and provide technical assistance to
      communities working to implement policy change.
      The planner/policy analyst will work with our healthy retail team to promote innovative
      programmatic and policy approaches to improving access to healthy food in underserved
      communities. The planner/policy analyst will support the team by, for example,
      developing trainings on healthy food retail strategies, researching food retail financing
      strategies, providing technical assistance on topics such as healthy corner store
      certification, and writing fact sheets and other resources for healthy food retail advocates.
      To qualify as a candidate, the following credentials are required:
       Graduate level degree in urban and regional planning, public policy, public
      health or related field
       At least 1-2 years professional experience in a government agency,
      community-based organization, private developer or planning firm, or similar
      policy, planning, or government-oriented experience.
      OR
       Undergraduate degree in urban and regional planning, public policy, public
      health or related field
       At least 3-4 years professional experience in a government agency,
      community-based organization, private developer or planning firm, or similar
      policy, planning, or government-oriented experience.
      The following areas of expertise and skills are required, unless otherwise stated:
       Knowledge of and interest in food system or nutrition issues.
       Knowledge of other planning and policy issues related to health, such as
      transportation planning, Complete Streets policies, and school policies, is
      desirable, but not required.
       Excellent research and writing skills in a number of formats (email, memos,
      reports, etc.)
       Outstanding oral communication and presentation skills, including proficiency
      with PowerPoint.
       Demonstrated ability to translate technical concepts, such as the planning or
      policy process, for a non-technical audience and ability to communicate with
      audiences of varying levels of technical expertise
       Ability to travel within and outside of California (up to 35% of the time)
       Ability to work quickly under multiple competing project deadlines
       Comfortable with taking on multiple roles in a small organization
       Interest in participating in business development for the organization
       Cultural competency to work across sectors, populations and settings
       Understanding of the social determinants of health and the importance of
      striving for health equity
       Ability to show individual initiative and work collaboratively on a team
       Skills in outreach, relationship cultivation, and consulting are a plus
       Language proficiency in Spanish is desirable
      Compensation:
      This is a full-time position. Salary range is $60,000 - $65,000 per year. ChangeLab
      Solutions offers a generous benefits package including PTO, medical, dental, vision, and
      long term disability insurance, life insurance, tax sheltered annuity and a flexible benefit
      plan.
      How to apply:
      To apply for the Food System Planner/Food System Policy Analyst position please email
      all required information to jobs@...; please include Planner/Policy
      Analyst in the subject line of the email.
      Applications will be accepted until July 26. Incomplete applications will not be
      considered.
      The following are required for a complete application packet:
      • Cover letter
      • Resume
      • Writing samples - Please provide one non-academic writing sample from a
      professional project (e.g., report prepare for previous/current employer).
      • References â€" Please provide contact information (name, organization, email, and
      phone number) for three (3) professional references.
      We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer
      NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE