5437Are We Prepared? Resilient Futures: What Planners Need to Know to Address Climate Change, Earthquakes, and Other Hazards

  • Hing Wong
    May 24, 2013
      Are We Prepared?
      Disasters Can Strike Us Quickly or Over Time

      Join us for an informative meeting and discussion led by experts in the field of resiliency.
      This workshop is open to all.

      Bay Area Planning Directors Association
      Spring Meeting - May 31, 2013

      8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
      Nile Hall, Preservation Park
      668 - 13th Street, Oakland

      Resilient Futures:
      What Planners Need to Know to Address Climate Change, Earthquakes, and Other Hazards

      A truly resilient future requires adapting our practices to address climate change, earthquakes, floods, and other hazards that we will experience over the next several decades. The conversation has shifted in recent years from emergency response to long-term policy and planning, yet many planners still don't have the tools they need.

      What do planners need to know about what we will face? How can planners help ensure that our communities are resilient enough to protect existing assets and ensure new development will withstand future hazards? Please join us for a morning of information and conversation with leading experts.

      Arrietta Chakos, Principal and Founder of Urban Resilience Strategies and former Assistant City Manager at the City of Berkeley, will present what cities are doing to make their communities more resilient and place the conversation in the national perspective.

      Louise Bedsworth, Senior Researcher from the State of California Governor's Office of Planning and Research will share recent work at the state level on climate adaptation guidance and make connections between SB 375, California Climate Adaptation Planning Guide, and State Hazard Mitigation Plan.

      Alex Hinds, Interim Director of the Center for Sustainable Communities at Sonoma State University, will moderate a panel with Wendy Goodfriend from the Bay Conservation Development Commission, and Laurie Johnson, SPUR Board member. They will discuss the top five things that planners need to know about hazards in their communities and lay out tools for the path forward.

      The morning will end with an interactive activity designed to get you thinking about how to plan for hazards in your own community.

      Fee: $45 (includes breakfast and lunch)
      AICP CM: 3 Credits (Pending)

      Registration Deadline: May 29, 2013
      Register at www.abag.ca.gov/abag/events/BAPDA/

      Questions? Contact Dayle Farina, daylef@... or 510/464-7993

      Co-sponsor: APA California - Northern Section

      Hing Wong, AICP

      Senior Regional Planner, Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG)
      Vice President of Public Information, APA California

      P.O. Box 2050, Oakland, CA 94604-2050
      ( 510.464.7966 | 7 510.433.5566 | * hingw@...