5205December 6th 7:00pm - Public Meeting pm San Jose Water Company proposed 44% rate increase

  • Katja
    Nov 12, 2012
      December 6th, 2012 at 7:00pm

      Public Meeting to discuss San Jose Water Company proposed 44% rate increase

      San Jose City Hall, Council Chambers

      Water is the life blood of our planet. Effective water management and
      conservation practices are critical to maintaining the quality of life that
      so many people in San Jose take for granted.

      On January 3, 2012 the San Jose Water Company proposed a 44 percent rate
      increase to be phased in over three years. This proposed increase is now
      before the California Public Utilities Commission for review and is awaiting
      approval for all or parts of the proposal. San Jose Water is a private,
      investor-owned company that serves more than 1 million people in the San
      Jose metropolitan area. Residents, business owners and city officials
      deserve the opportunity to discuss this proposal in an open forum and hear
      the key issues that justify this significant increase by the Water Company.
      The community should also hear the impacts this increase may have on water
      conservation and other social and environmental programs that benefit the
      greater good.

      In keeping with our charter to monitor the use of our natural resources, The
      League of Women Voters of San Jose and Santa Clara along with the Loma
      Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club are co-sponsoring a Town Hall meeting at
      San Jose City Hall on December 6th, 2012 at 7:00pm. This meeting will give
      the Water Company and other interested groups an opportunity to discuss the
      proposed increase. Speakers will include the Water Company and the Public
      Utilities Commission. We will also hear from an expert on water management
      best practices. Ample time has been set aside for public comment on the
      Water Company proposal.

      Please join us at this informative event.