5131Lecture: "Are Trains Safer Than Planes?" (UC Berkeley, 10/26)

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    Oct 2, 2012
      (From http://events.berkeley.edu/index.php/calendar/sn/its.html?event_ID=59175&date=2012-10-26)

      Are Trains Safer Than Planes?

      Seminar | October 26 | 4-5 p.m. | 534 Davis Hall, UC Berkeley

      Speaker: Arnold Barnett, PhD, George Eastman Professor of Management
      Science and Professor of Statistics, Sloan School of Management,
      Massachusetts Institute of Technology

      Sponsor: Institute of Transportation Studies

      We discuss the mortality risk of passenger rail travel around the
      world, and compare risk levels with the corresponding levels for
      passenger air travel. We consider the decade before 9/11 and the
      decade following it, and distinguish between deaths caused by
      accidents and those cause by criminal/terrorist acts. We explore
      several specific questions, including whether there is an argument
      related to safety for building a high-speed rail network linking
      Northern and Southern California. Some of the findings might surprise
      you.

      Event Contact: its.fridayseminar@...