4835Job Description: Sustainable Housing Policy Associate
- Jan 3, 2012From Idealist: http://www.idealist.org/view/job/SNzzD4CJj5Xd
Based in San Francisco, the California Housing Partnership Corporation
(www.chpc.net) assists nonprofit and government housing agencies to
create and preserve energy efficient homes affordable to lower income
households, while providing leadership on housing preservation policy
and funding. As part of its mission, CHPC advocates for policy changes
to make energy efficiency retrofit funding available to low income
multifamily rental housing serving lower income Californians.
CHPC seeks a full time Policy Associate to advance policy and program
changes that enable low income multifamily rental housing owner/managers
to access energy efficiency funding and services. The Policy Associate
will assist the Sustainable Housing Policy Coordinator and other staff
to develop and implement policy strategies, identify and outreach to
stakeholders with common interests, as well as to educate policy makers
about the importance of investing in energy efficiency in low income
multifamily rental housing.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* Assist CHPC in advocating its positions through regulatory
proceedings and initiatives involving the California Public Utilities
Commission and the California Energy Commission, including:
* The Energy Savings Assistance Program; the Green House Gas
Allowance Revenue Allocation; and general energy efficiency proceedings.
* Energy Upgrade California's multifamily work;
* AB 785 implementation (Comprehensive Energy Efficiency in Existing
* Represent CHPC before legislators and other government officials in
support of CHPC's key legislative issues.
* Conduct research, gather data, and create policy papers and memos
in support CHPC's energy efficiency, preservation, sustainable
housing policy and outreach work.
* Nurture and expand the Green Rental home Energy Efficiency Network
(GREEN), of which CHPC is the founder, by outreaching to potential
participants and organizing and preparing CHPC/GREEN events and monthly
* Issue monthly GREEN newsletters promoting understanding of energy
efficiency needs in affordable housing.
* Periodically conduct other policy research under the direction of
CHPC's Housing Policy Manager.
* Assist with office administration as directed.
* Demonstrated interest in and commitment to providing affordable
housing for lower income Californians.
* A minimum of two years direct experience with public policy
advocacy in the legislative and/or regulatory arenas advancing state
legislation and/or active participation in a California regulatory
* Strong interest in and understanding of energy efficiency and
sustainable housing issues.
* Experience with coalition building and stakeholder group
* Strong analysis, research, writing and speaking skills.
* Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set
priorities, juggle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
* Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal
supervision and as part of a team.
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a close
working environment with evolving priorities.
* Advanced degree in law, urban planning, public policy or related
* CHPC is an equal opportunity employer where diversity is considered
* To apply, email a cover letter, detailed resume and short writing
sample (in PDF format) to: info@... <mailto:info@...>
* The Housing Policy Assistant reports to CHPC's Sustainable
Housing Policy Coordinator.
* Compensation will be commensurate with experience and budget.
* The position will be filled as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we
are unable to speak personally with everyone who contacts us. Candidates
demonstrating ability that matches our current needs will be contacted
for an interview.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]