4661Photo exhibition - "The American Landscape at the Tipping Point" (San Francisco)

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    May 2 9:06 PM
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Koch Gallery <announce@...>
      Date: Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM
      Subject: Alex MacLean Exhibition

      Alex MacLean

      The American Landscape at the Tipping Point

      May 5 - July 2, 2011
      Reception for the Artist: Thursday, May 5,  5:30 - 7:30

      SAN FRANCISCO – The Robert Koch Gallery is pleased to present its
      first exhibition of photographs by Alex MacLean, who for over thirty
      years has been documenting a changing American landscape, and the
      complex relationship between its natural and constructed environments.
      Internationally recognized for his aerial photography and ecological
      commitment, the works in The American Landscape at the Tipping Point
      bear eloquent witness to the marks and transformations humanity has
      wrought on the American landscape.

      Trained as an architect at Harvard University’s Graduate School of
      Design, MacLean earned a Masters Degree in Architecture and also
      became grounded in urban design through his work on projects in the
      Unites States and Europe for the past 30 years. Drawing on his
      background in architecture and urban design, MacLean’s aerial lens
      captures the proliferation of parking lots, housing developments, and
      agricultural fields that embody the profound impact of human
      habitation on the Earth. "I seek out odd occurrences in the physical
      landscape that serve as metaphors for shifts in societal values. These
      images tell important stories about our cultural standards." For
      decades, MacLean has used his camera to document this American
      obsession with development, and the extent to which we have
      manipulated and transformed the environment to suit our needs.
      MacLean’s images are aesthetically seductive, defined by bold color,
      texture, and pattern, but offer a warning. His photographs depict a
      relationship that has reached a tipping point, an American way of life
      that is no longer environmentally sustainable.

      MacLean’s photographs have been exhibited widely in the United States,
      Canada, Europe and Asia, at such major institutions as the Centre
      Pompidou, the Menil Collection, Houston, and the Museum of
      Contemporary Photography, Chicago. He has won numerous awards,
      including the 2009 CORINE International Book Award for OVER: The
      American Landscape at the Tipping Point, the American Academy of
      Rome’s Prix de Rome in Landscape Architecture for 2003-2004, and
      grants from foundations such as the National Endowment for the Arts
      and Graham Foundation. MacLean’s work is the subject of ten
      monographs.

      To view exhibition > http://www.kochgallery.com/exhibitions/index.html

      ROBERT KOCH GALLERY
      49 GEARY STREET