4623Rethinking the Future of Cities, April 4th, 6pm. World Affairs Council in SF

  • Riad
    Mar 26, 2011
      In an increasingly interconnected world, air travel is becoming less of a luxury, and more of a necessity. If the cities of the 16th and 17th centuries were built around ports and rivers, will the cities of the 21st century be built around airports? Greg Lindsay, author of Aerotropolis: The Way We'll Live Next, will discuss how our dependence on air travel will shape how future cities will be structured. Whether it's iPods from ...China, roses from Colombia, or business executives from Tokyo, Lindsay suggests that the growth and success of nations depends on their access to air travel. Will populations continue to flock to the traditional hubs of London, Paris and New York, or will the future metropolises be built around the high-tech and central airports of Dubai and India?

      Greg Lindsay is a contributing writer for Fast Company and the author of Aerotropolis: The Way We'll Live Next (with John D. Kasarda). He was previously a contributing writer for Fortune and an editor-at-large for Advertising Age. His writing has also appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Daily Beast. Greg speaks frequently about globalization, innovation, and the future of cities, and most recently in Shanghai at Expo 2010, at Columbia University, and at Singularity University. He is a visiting scholar at New York University's Rudin Center for Transportation Policy & Management. He is also a fellow of the Hybrid Reality Institute, exploring the co-evolution of humans and technology

      Check-in: 5:30 PM; Program: 6:00 PM

      Advance registration is recommended for guaranteed seating. However, pre-registration is not required and walk-ins on the day of this program are welcome.

      Register here: http://www.itsyourworld.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2943

      World Affairs Council Auditorium

      World Affairs Council of Northern California
      312 Sutter Street
      Second Floor
      San Francisco, California 94108