    Apr 13 10:15 AM

      Planning Safe Communities:

      Lessons from Earth, Wind, Fire, Water & Other Natural Disasters

      Thursday, April 27, 2006

      8:30am to 4:00pm

      MetroCenter Auditorium

      101 Eighth Street, Oakland

      (across the street from the Lake Merritt BART Station)

      The California Planning Foundation (CPF) is proud to present a workshop on "Planning Safe Communities: Lessons from Earth, Wind, Fire, Water & Other Natural Disasters"The workshop is divided into four important sessions geared specifically to planners which addresses what the planner's roles are during an emergency.

      • Session I: What are the threats and vulnerabilities that natural disasters pose for California communities?
      • Session II: How can we plan for safer and more resilient communities?
      • Session III: What can we do now to help our community get ahead of the curve?
      • Session IV: Are planners critical to disaster recovery efforts?

      CPF's goal is to further the professional practice of planning in California with the primary focus of providing scholarships and awards to university students in financial need.  Funds generated from this workshop will go directly towards scholarships.  Scholarship recipients come from many backgrounds and are selected because they are talented and motivated, and have demonstrated academic excellence at university planning programs throughout California.

      Planning is best done in advance.  Don't wait for a catastrophic event to learn what we are suppose to do!  For additional information and to sign up, please download flier at

      www.calapa.org/en/cms/?85. $100 APA Members ~ $135 Non-APA Members ~ $35 Students