1182Planning Technician Position--San Jose
- Nov 11, 2004
Planning Technician - PBCE
Type of Job: Open to all Applicants Requisition #: CSJ-2005-0038 Department: Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Open Date: November 08, 2004 Close Date: November 26, 2004 Benefit Level: Full-Time with Benefits Salary: $46,820.80 to $56,929.60 (Annually)
A Planning Technician, under general direction, performs a variety of pre-professional field and office work of routine difficulty in the collection and presentation of planning data. Typical duties include working with applicants and the public; the collection and presentation of planning-related data such as land use, zoning, and property conditions; and intake and preliminary processing of development applications.
This classification is represented by Municipal Employees Federation (MEF), Local 101 AFSCME, AFL-CIO.
The ideal candidate will possess the most desirable combination of training, skills and experience, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable experience, knowledge and skills for this position include:
Knowledge of a wide variety of graphic presentation techniques related to planning, engineering or geography, including tables, charts, diagrams, and illustrations of statistical, design and written materials; fundamentals of mathematics; engineering and basic map drafting practices; and techniques of interpreting statistical data by charts and graphs.
Ability to apply skills in collecting and organizing data pertaining to land use and development; prepare and interpret maps and legal descriptions; calculate simple mathematical computations; use and apply computer software for word processing, data bases, spreadsheets, maps and geographic information systems; exhibit and document design and layout;
Ability to provide excellent customer service and public relations; understand and implement oral and written instructions; work as part of a team by understanding and completing assignments in a timely manner.
Knowledge of different types of GIS software, including Map Info or Arch Info.
Bachelor�s Degree in a planning related field.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to the following:
1. Education: Completion of high school, General Educational Development (G.E.D.) Certificate, or California Proficiency Certificate.
Two (2) years of increasingly responsible sub-professional planning or engineering experience, using computer applications for word processing, presentation graphics, database management, spreadsheets and map creation in preparation for geographic analysis.
Associate degree from an accredited college with an emphasis in a technical field such as computer science, geographic information systems, computer graphics, or architectural drafting. Proof of completed course work in four of the following software: Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, MapInfo or Arc Info.
3. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jos� will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
If you are an interested candidate who meets the minimum qualifications, you can be considered for this vacancy by applying online. If you are currently viewing this announcement online, and you would like to apply using the online application feature, scroll to the bottom of this announcement and click on "Apply to this Position."
If you are not currently online, to find the announcement, go to http://jobs.cityofsj.org. Click on �Open Recruitments.� Click on �Planning Technician - PBCE� to view the job announcement. Click the "Apply to this Position" button at the bottom of the job announcement to apply.
This is a position-specific recruitment for this vacancy only. If you are interested in other Planning Technician opportunities, you must respond to other specific announcements.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume and answers to the job-specific questions. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the positions will be forwarded to the next phase of the selection process.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions in the online application process:
- Describe how your skills and abilities qualify you for the position of Planning Technician as described in the job announcement. This will act as your cover letter.
- Do you have two years of increasingly responsible sub-professional planning or engineering experience? If yes, describe your sub-professional experience.
- Do you have experience with computer software programs specifically for land use planning, graphic presentations, and database management? If yes, describe your experience in all of these areas.
- Do you have an Associate�s Degree in a technical field? If yes, what was your major?
- Do you have education or experience with at least four of the following types software applications: 1) Microsoft Word, 2) Excel, 3) Access, 4) Map Info 5) Arch Info or 6) a different types of GIS software? If yes, describe your education or experience with each application.
- Do you have a Bachelor�s Degree in a planning related field? If so, what was your major?
- Describe your experience working in an organization that emphasizes exceptional customer service.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions regarding the duties of this position, the recruitment, selection or hiring processes, please contact please contact Trung Nguyen from Planning, Building and Code Enforcement at (408) 277-3981 or by e-mail at trung.nguyen@....
If you have questions, comments or concerns about the recruitment, selection or hiring process, please contact Renee Bettencourt from Employee Services at (408) 277-3041 or by e-mail at: renee.bettencourt@....
Do you Yahoo!?
Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. www.yahoo.com