Re: [SJ-24] Re: Roller furling

  • SailorIbe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2004
      yes ff4! Bacon sails in annapolis. They are a dealer, one salesman loves the
      San Juan too he had one. www.baconsails.com. My Genny's all are equipped with
      that cord on the edge for a jiffy type of hanking system. So, I know this
      plastic will last. I have the same type on my headstay. Probably has been there
      for years. I always wanted to go single handed. Seems like I am going to do it
      soon. Hell my crew eats that much in a week or two.

      Mark and the Boys

    • Bill Sims
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2004
        Mark,

        That certainly is a great price. What does it include? Just the foil, bearings, and drum, I'd presume.

        I don't know for sure, but odds are your headsails have #5 boltrope, and most roller furlers call for #6. Be sure to check on this. If the FF4 uses #5, then it's sounding like a really good deal.

        While sailing my boat last week I decided that I'll have a new headsail cut for the roller furler, when I get one. My 170 is just too big for a roller furler, the 150 is getting old, threw the crappy 142 away last month, and the 110 is too small. Plus they are all deck sweepers.

        Don't hold off singlehanding until you have a roller furler, or you'll miss alot of sailing!

        Bill Sims
        Mandeville, Louisiana

      • m_kanzler@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
          I agree with Bill.
          I have found that my mainsail feeds itself quite well
          w/o anyone on the foredeck. I'm thinking of getting a
          more fancy prefeeder, like the one at the link below,
          mainly to reduce the friction so my wife can haul up
          the sail farther before I have to take over and do
          the final tension. She could use a winch, but that'd
          be slow, and you can't feel for snagging as well.

          http://makeashorterlink.com/?P52312BF8

        • m_kanzler@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
            D'oh!
            That should say Genoa, not mainsail.
            Haven't been feeling well lately... yeah, that's it.

            --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, m_kanzler@y... wrote:
            > I agree with Bill.
            > I have found that my mainsail feeds itself quite well
            > w/o anyone on the foredeck. I'm thinking of getting a
            > more fancy prefeeder, like the one at the link below,
            > mainly to reduce the friction so my wife can haul up
            > the sail farther before I have to take over and do
            > the final tension. She could use a winch, but that'd
            > be slow, and you can't feel for snagging as well.
            >
            > http://makeashorterlink.com/?P52312BF8
            >
            > --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sims" <Bill-Sims@c...> wrote:
            > > Don't hold off singlehanding until you have a roller furler, or
            > you'll miss alot of sailing!
            > >
            > > Bill Sims
            > > Mandeville, Louisiana
          • Graeme Jannaway
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 9, 2004
              Hi George,
              I've been off the list for a bit.
              The CDI is a better furler than a reefer, since the foil is so
              flexible (and nearly indestructible). It is also a self contained
              unit, with a builtin halyard (so no halyard wrap problems). The
              downside is that you can't change the tension of the headsail while
              sailing.
              You can use any sail that you want in the furler, but you have to
              attach a messenger line to the halyard, drop the first sail and haul
              the second while at dock. I have my 163% #1 on it and have tried
              reefing, but the sail shape was poor. My #2 would also fit, but it
              doesn't have the sacrificial anti-UV strip on it, so I wouldn't want
              to leave it up.

              Hope this helps.

              Graeme Jannaway
              Matta II, #318