Re: Handheld GPS

  • Dave Brezina
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2004
      I have a Garmin III Plus, so it's an older unit.
      One issue to me is that while racing, the combination of small display
      and things happening fast make it not very useful to judge
      hypothetical things like mark roundings, or wind shifts. On the other
      hand, I've found at least one mark at night that the competition
      couldn't find. I made a little bracket to attach the thing to the
      bulkhead.

      A second issue is the charts that are the background for your course
      plot. The ones that come loaded on this GPS are good road maps, but
      the shoreline isn't close enough to enter a harbor mouth in poor
      visibility. I haven't bought any of the real chart packages.

      If I were cruising, I would think that there is really no substitute
      for pre-cruise planning and real navigation, using the GPS as a
      backup. But my navigational habits were developed as a private pilot.

      Another alternative is something like Teletype GPS loaded on a Pocket
      PC. It's a neat program that also loads on your regular PC and I have
      used it to prepare graphics of our club's standard race courses, with
      courses (including tacks) calculated. So it was most useful as a
      graphic generating tool -- the 8.5 x 11" charts I printed and
      laminated are much better at a glance than the tiny Garmin display.
      Even the Pocket PC display would be better. A color display on the GPS
      would probably enhance readability.

      Dave Brezina
      Scorpion
      Chicago

    • m_kanzler@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2004
        I have the Mgellan Sportrak Pro, which I use primarily
        for Geocaching. I put a strip of the velcro cloth on
        the back, and a matching strip of the hook on my
        companionway bulkhead (I put the soft half of velcro
        on the GPSR because it feels better in my hand).
        I did the same with our cellphone, BTW.

        I find that if I predetermine my waypoint(s), it is very
        useful for following a route. Whenever possible, I will
        drive to my destination ahead of time to scout out the
        mooring situation and take an actual waypoint (more accurate
        than using a chart).

        I almost never use the map function. On a 2" square screen
        it is impractical to expect enough detail to be of mush use.

        If you can xerox your chart and plot your waypoints on it,
        (both intended and actual) the GPSR becomes a very useful
        tool.

        I have seen the Sportrak Pro for under $150, and you can
        get one for that price range on eBay (remember to ALWAYS
        read the seller's feedback messages and check his feedback
        percentage rating).