Re: [SJ-24] Re: Tiller Refinishing

  • gc138@aol.com
    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 1, 2001
      Dave - My tiller also has plates and tube. The plates are not very large -
      2.5" x 3" and shaped roundish on the end to match the tiller end. Also - the
      wood grain seems to match my other teak exactly. I did not think teak was
      structurally that strong. And it appears to be one piece - not laminated. As
      far as I know, I believe it to be the original. I have had this boat since
      it was 5 years old.
      George Cunningham #18 "Spaghetti"
    • bob_watson@belk.com
      Message 51 of 51 , Jan 18, 2007
        ...or is it that you cannot see any corrosion if it is hidden behind the
        plastic...

        Bob Watson
        Senior Planning Manager, Men's Sportswear
        704.426.6439

        gc138@...
        Sent by:
        SJ-24@yahoogroups To
        .com SJ-24@yahoogroups.com
        cc

        01/18/2007 03:25 Subject
        PM Re: [SJ-24] Re: Lifelines - Coated
        vs. Bare Stainless

        Please respond to
        SJ-24@yahoogroups
        .com

        Mark - I have read the same thing about stainless needing air (oxygen) not to
        corrode. It was on a fastener website. My question is, what would corrode it if
        the screw were buried in a piece of wood and covered by resin. Doesn't a material
        like steel need to come into contact with another metal or water or some other
        substance to corrode it or would the moisture in wood be enough to attack it? We
        have a lot of talent on the forum but I don't recall anyone being expert in
        metallurgy........we'll see.

        George #18 Spaghetti