Re: spreader wear

  • sj24cpt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
      Order some new spreader tips from Gene and have a local pro show you how to tune your rig. If the shrouds are too loose it could cause that. Otherwise I haven't a clue. That's where a good counsiling from a sail maker or rigger would come in to play. He can show you how to use a fish scale looking thing to adjust for the proper tension. My rig is tight but the leeward shrouds are loose when sailing to weather. I put a heavy wire ty thru both turnbuckles on both sides to keep the turnbuckles from backing off! We are blessed with simple easy to tune rigs. Once someone shows you the proper way you will be able to tune most single spreader rigs and impress your friends.
      You may have to replace your shrouds because you may have to cut the turnbuckle or the eyelet off to get it throught the tip holes unless they're slotted. You'll know when you take them off the ends of the spreader wings what you have. I can't remember. Then the rigger has to swage on new fittings which is a good thing to replace your turnbuckles anyway. The threads tend to gall up under pressure. DON'T TRY THIS YOURSELF!!! He has an expensive tool that does a proper swage. You don't want anything falling down on your head! Dah! I get him to do my life lines too!!! DIY is good but know your limitations, may it be knowledge or simply having the right tools.

      --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, John Simon <splashingnaked@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I own Naked Pizza, a 1979 SJ-24, while getting the boat ready this spring , I noticed what appeared to me to be a lot of wear on the metal of the spreaders.  I have attached 3 photos showing what I am referring to.  Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks, John

    • John Simon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
        Thanks for the advice, who is Gene and how do I get in touch with him.  John

        Order some new spreader tips from Gene and have a local pro show you how to tune your rig. If the shrouds are too loose it could cause that. Otherwise I haven't a clue. That's where a good counsiling from a sail maker or rigger would come in to play. He can show you how to use a fish scale looking thing to adjust for the proper tension. My rig is tight but the leeward shrouds are loose when sailing to weather. I put a heavy wire ty thru both turnbuckles on both sides to keep the turnbuckles from backing off! We are blessed with simple easy to tune rigs. Once someone shows you the proper way you will be able to tune most single spreader rigs and impress your friends.
        You may have to replace your shrouds because you may have to cut the turnbuckle or the eyelet off to get it throught the tip holes unless they're slotted. You'll know when you take them off the ends of the spreader wings what you have. I can't remember. Then the rigger has to swage on new fittings which is a good thing to replace your turnbuckles anyway. The threads tend to gall up under pressure. DON'T TRY THIS YOURSELF!!! He has an expensive tool that does a proper swage. You don't want anything falling down on your head! Dah! I get him to do my life lines too!!! DIY is good but know your limitations, may it be knowledge or simply having the right tools.

        --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, John Simon <splashingnaked@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I own Naked Pizza, a 1979 SJ-24, while getting the boat ready this spring , I noticed what appeared to me to be a lot of wear on the metal of the spreaders.  I have attached 3 photos showing what I am referring to.  Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks, John

      • George
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
          800 883-2814
          pgardnersj@...

          http://www.portgardnersailboats.com/

          PORT GARDNER SAILBOATS
          PO BOX 269
          MOUNTLAKE TERRACE, WA 98043
          206 696 8685

          that's everything I have on him. In the file section there is a Gene Adams Price List excel file " SJ24 PL.xls "

          George #18 Spaghetti

          --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, John Simon <splashingnaked@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the advice, who is Gene and how do I get in touch with him.  John

        • DavidB
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2011
            I drilled through and put bolts with sleeves on them to take up the slack and provide a bearing surface. I figured the aluminum would eventually wear out again, anyway.