Re: Two questions. "Blower" switch and Jib Bag

  • Kevin S
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
      I use a headsail bag during the cruising season, I appreciate having one less sailbag down below. It has never been a problem when docking or anchoring.

      Kevin
      Corrymeela #599

      --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, hirammcdaniel@... wrote:

      > As I progress through various projects to get my $500 SJ24 ready for a season of sailing, I have numerous small questions. I'll post two here.
      >
      > First off, what is the "blower" switch on my OEM electrical control panel supposed to control? I don't think it's connected to anything right now, but wondered what "blower" it's referring to.
      >
      > Secondly, anyone using a jib bag to keep your hank-on jib up top? I've used one before, just wondered if any owners had positive or negative advice about using one on the SJ24.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your help!!

    • DavidB
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
        On my SJ24 I have roller furling, which I used when racing and now when cruising.
        On my Tartan 10 I use a full length headsail bag that has Velcro the whole length. The jib can be flaked for ease in hoisting, or rolled for better storage.
        All the T-10s that race use hanked on sails, I expect because they are faster to hoist/douse when dousing/hoisting the spinnaker, although I wouldn't rule out frugality.
        The jibs are rolled up for storage, but I bought the bag after an unpleasant experience when a squall hit a mile from the harbor and the crew had loosely secured the jib and it beat itself up. With the easier to open bag, I hope to save jibs.

        Bilge blowers are mandatory on inboard gasoline boats, and depending on how you have the fuel tank for your outboard located and vented might still be a good idea.