RE: [SJ-24] cross sections of a sj24 being cut up for placement in a landfill

  • Dave Michaels
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
      Sent from my Samsung Captivate(tm) on AT&T

      john waclawski <johnwaclawski@...> wrote:

      >Dave: thank you. The pictures were/are very helpful to me as I repair my SJ24. I am working on the transom to get it ready for a new motor mount. I plan on reinforcing the inside with plywood and fiberglass. I notice you said the transom was solid and not cored. Do you know what year the boat is that you are donating to science and all of us who are repairing them?
      > I also am repairing the inside floor. mine was delaminated and the balsa core was rotten. I have much orange solid material (looks like some sort of poured in material) in my bilge and under the floor. looks like several stringers of it (they go from port to starboard) that separate the inlaid balsa wood. maybe a previous repair and I am being real careful taking out the old materials because I have noticed in several areas of the floor where fiberglass mat was used as a filler (very little resin impregnation) that is not actually bonded to the inner hull. I am using a small scraper and working from under the cockpit (where I can see the inside of the hull) and moving forward to scrape out all the material so I can reinforce the keel and rebuild the floor. Thank you for your offers of pictures. I may contact you as I proceed with the repairs. Happy Thanksgiving john w 186 1973 version sj24
      >

      >To: SJ-24@yahoogroups.com
      >From: skibumdav@...
      >Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:16:08 -0500
      >Subject: RE: [SJ-24] cross sections of a sj24 being cut up for placement in a landfill
      >

      >I still have much of the hull left as i've yet to get it all cut up (very hard on the chainsaw and sawsall ) so if you need more pics, let me know.
      >
      >Dave m
      >
      >Sent from my Samsung Captivate(tm) on AT&T
      >
      >john waclawski <johnwaclawski@...> wrote:
      >

      >>This is the blog site that has the description and cross section pictures. It is very interesting
      >>
      >>http://pavementsailor.blogspot.com/2009/02/san-juan-24-donated-to-science.html
      >>
      >>john waclawski
      >>

      >>To: SJ-24@yahoogroups.com
      >>From: johnwaclawski@...
      >>Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 04:30:01 +0000
      >>Subject: [SJ-24] cross sections of a sj24 being cut up for placement in a landfill
      >>

      >>late 2009 or early 2010 I saw an article or posting or web site that displayed multiple pictures of a sj24 that was being cut up to dispose of. The poster had several pictures and descriptions of the various deck and hull sections that were cut up so one could identify the thickness and composition of the boat. i am starting to repair my sj24 and am interested in seeing and reading the descriptions. Has anyone seen the site or posting. if so please let me know the url. thanks john w hull 186. john waclawski

    • Dave Michaels
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
        The sj24 I cut up was a 74. I repaired a cabin sole in another sj24 much like your sj. The balsa in the sole stiffens the hull from flexing. I ground out the old glass and balsa and resined in new balsa and covered with new glass. Robert in INdiana has that boat now and he can tell you if the repair held up.