Hinged Mast Step
- Has anyone out there modified there mast base and mast sheave male piece for a hinged mast step. I saw pics in here and have my mast step assembly allready removed. I was going to have two tabs welded on the base and one round approx. 1" diameter slug welded to the male piece.
Then drill 3/8 to 1/2 inch hole thru when put into place. regards Sailfish
- I put one on my SJ23 years ago. I bought it from Gene. I will try and find pictures.
--- In SJemail@example.com, gc138@... wrote:
> I would like to see the hinged mast step but I cannot find a Sialfish album
> in the photo section !!
> George C. #18 Spaghetti
- Its in the first photo album. Driftwood photo album.
--- In SJfirstname.lastname@example.org, "davidmeissner@..." <davidhmeissner@...> wrote:
> I put one on my SJ23 years ago. I bought it from Gene. I will try and find pictures.
> --- In SJemail@example.com, gc138@ wrote:
> > I would like to see the hinged mast step but I cannot find a Sialfish album
> > in the photo section !!
> > George C. #18 Spaghetti
- BTW - I emailed Gene the other day for a quote on the hinged mast step and he told me that they are no longer available. When I restored Spaghetti, I saved a few bucks by using a new standard non-hinged step but at the first mast raising, I regretted it. My mast is a heavy duty one with double rigging and hardware. I know the mast weighed in over 90 lbs stripped. So when you add the weight of double running rigging and blocks, and the weight of the standing rigging that you are lifting with the mast, it was quite hard to manually get erected. Without an A-frame, it take seven folks. I know that sound like a lot but that's what it took. Two to lift in the boat, two at the mast base (one to hold in place the other to hook up wiring) one in front of the boat pulling/hoisting and two on either side to balance. I think if I do it again, I will put it in a slip between two boats and do it that way. I tried an a-frame but didn't like it. That might work well with a hinged step but not with a standard - too much stress on the step at first.George #18 "Spaghetti"
- That hinged one looks very sturdy - did you use a standard step to start with or build from scratch? What kind of metal is the hinge? Aluminum?George #18 "Spaghetti"
keep me posted, photos, thanks
--- On Sat, 3/5/11, Sean <seanmkeep@...> wrote:
From: Sean <seanmkeep@...>
Subject: [SJ-24] Re: Hinged Mast Step
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011, 9:15 AM
> I have designed a hinged mast base that requires no welding if anyone is interested. I will add to Sailfish photos.