Hinged Mast Step

  • Sailfish
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
      Has anyone out there modified there mast base and mast sheave male piece for a hinged mast step. I saw pics in here and have my mast step assembly allready removed. I was going to have two tabs welded on the base and one round approx. 1" diameter slug welded to the male piece.
      Then drill 3/8 to 1/2 inch hole thru when put into place. regards Sailfish
    • Sailfish
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2011
        I have designed a hinged mast base that requires no welding if anyone is interested. I will add to Sailfish photos.
      • gc138@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 26, 2011
          I would like to see the hinged mast step but I cannot find a Sialfish album in the photo section !!
          George C. #18 Spaghetti
        • davidmeissner@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 26, 2011
            I put one on my SJ23 years ago. I bought it from Gene. I will try and find pictures.

            Dave

            --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, gc138@... wrote:

            > I would like to see the hinged mast step but I cannot find a Sialfish album
            > in the photo section !!
            > George C. #18 Spaghetti

          • Sailfish
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 26, 2011
              Its in the first photo album. Driftwood photo album.

            • gc138@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
                BTW - I emailed Gene the other day for a quote on the hinged mast step and he told me that they are no longer available. When I restored Spaghetti, I saved a few bucks by using a new standard non-hinged step but at the first mast raising, I regretted it. My mast is a heavy duty one with double rigging and hardware. I know the mast weighed in over 90 lbs stripped. So when you add the weight of double running rigging and blocks, and the weight of the standing rigging that you are lifting with the mast, it was quite hard to manually get erected. Without an A-frame, it take seven folks. I know that sound  like a lot but that's what it took. Two to lift in the boat, two at the mast base (one to hold in place the other to hook up wiring) one in front of the boat pulling/hoisting and two on either side to balance. I think if I do it again, I will put it in a slip between two boats and do it that way. I tried an a-frame but didn't like it. That might work well with a hinged step but not with a standard - too much stress on the step at first.
                George #18 "Spaghetti"
              • gc138@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
                  That hinged one looks very sturdy - did you use a standard step to start with or build from scratch? What kind of metal is the hinge? Aluminum?
                  George #18 "Spaghetti"
                • Sean
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                    > I have designed a hinged mast base that requires no welding if anyone is interested. I will add to Sailfish photos.

                    how much
                  • scott reed
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011
                      keep me posted, photos, thanks