Reefing Mainsail

  • Mitch
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2010
      Does anyone know if a diagram exists showing how a mainsail is reefed for an SJ24?

      Mitch Dranow (#845)
    • HERB KATZ
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2010
        Assuming you have set up a reefing line with a hook at the end and the line running to the cockpit and that after you raise your main you have attached the hook to one of the grommets on the sail near the mast, make sure that the topping lift is attached to the end of the boom. Remove the sail-stop (which should be attached by a prusic line to the bottom of the boom so as not to loose it overboard) to let the foot of the sail drop. Lower the sail, tighten the reefing line, and raise the sail again until it's under tension. When that's made, tie the folds of the lowered sail through the grommets and around the boom with thin diameter line and a reef knot.

        It may be difficult to get out of a slip and sail out of a marina with the reefed sail up but it's a lot easier to do that, and safer, too, than trying to reef your main at sea. If you have to do it at sea most people would do it with the bow to weather, but the flapping main can make it difficult to do. Sometimes, I've found it easier to do when sailing close hauled. Also, it's not a one person operation on an SJ24.  Hope I haven't missed anything.

        Herb
        SV Cele

        Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.                     Rachel Carson

      • Shirley Diamond
        Message 3 of 12 , May 6, 2010
          I have reefed my mainsail many times while out in the Straits of Georgia.....

          Easiest way to do it is to heave to, then lower the main to the right level, tighten the reefing line, then tighten the main halyard. all you have to do then is haul in on the main sheet and let your jib tack around. Done.

          Doing this while hove to lessens all of the nasty action of the boat and there is not too much flapping of the main sail while trying to work on it.

          -Shirley
          Strait Angel

          Message 4 of 12 , May 11, 2010
            Mitch - Check out these messages on reefing before you go to the trouble of rigging it. Especially Gil's advice who has been sailing in the good winds of the NW since the year ????????.

            George #18 "Spaghetti"