Re: [SJ-24] Enkes AR 18 Winches

  • GC138
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 6:39 AM
      Michael - What kind of winch are we talking about? Barient? Lewmar? What size number?
      If Barlow or Barient - here is some info.
      If lewmar

      You may be trying to remove the stem or main spindle that is not removable or does not need to be removed.
      Just do a search on your brand of winch maintenance.

      George #18 Spaghetti

      In a message dated 04/01/09 01:33:00 Central Daylight Time, michael98277@... writes:

      I picked up #66 for a song, but she needs lots of TLC. Among many projects, all of her winches are mostly frozen. The two larger winches located toward the middle of the cockpit (primary winches?) are my first focus, so I can get her sailing again.

      I pulled the main drum assembly off, leaving the base mounted on the boat. It is highly likely that the problem was the gummy, tar-like grease on the drum, as well as the fully greased and stuck pawls. I didn't realize there were rollers within the assembly until I brushed a few loose in a pan of gasoline. So I have the outer assembly all squeaky clean and ready for winch grease, but back on the boat is the base with this large spindle in place. It appears that inside where you'd put the winch handle there is a small hole. I bet there is a certain size Allen screw down in that hole. I simply can't see it. Has anyone taken one of these apart that knows what holds it in place? I'd like to remove the spindle and thoroughly clean out that entire assembly before putting it all back together.

      Thanks in advance! This group is always a tremendous help.

      Michael

    • GC138

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 9:26 AM
          George,

          They are Enkes AR 18 Winches. I checked for a manufacturer's site and lost on two counts. I found the site, in German, which had one line listed. It translated as, "The website and store for Enkes is closed."

          I can likely clean it in place, but I could do a more thorough job and it would be a lot easier if I could pull that main spindle. I can see a whole at the bottom of the winch handle shaft, but I can't get anything to fit so far. I am guessing it is a certain size allen wrench, and the hole is filled with dirt. Any ideas?

          --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, GC138 <gc138@...> wrote:

          > Michael - What kind of winch are we talking about? Barient? Lewmar? What size number?
          > If Barlow or Barient - here is some info.
          > http://www.huttonwinches.com/products/service
          > If lewmar
          > http://en.lewmar.com/products/index.aspx?lang=1&page_id=562
          >
          > You may be trying to remove the stem or main spindle that is not removable or does not need to be removed.
          > Just do a search on your brand of winch maintenance.
          >
          > George #18 Spaghetti
          >

          > In a message dated 04/01/09 01:33:00 Central Daylight Time, michael98277@... writes:
          > I picked up #66 for a song, but she needs lots of TLC. Among many projects, all of her winches are mostly frozen. The two larger winches located toward the middle of the cockpit (primary winches?) are my first focus, so I can get her sailing again.
          >
          > I pulled the main drum assembly off, leaving the base mounted on the boat. It is highly likely that the problem was the gummy, tar-like grease on the drum, as well as the fully greased and stuck pawls. I didn't realize there were rollers within the assembly until I brushed a few loose in a pan of gasoline. So I have the outer assembly all squeaky clean and ready for winch grease, but back on the boat is the base with this large spindle in place. It appears that inside where you'd put the winch handle there is a small hole. I bet there is a certain size Allen screw down in that hole. I simply can't see it. Has anyone taken one of these apart that knows what holds it in place? I'd like to remove the spindle and thoroughly clean out that entire assembly before putting it all back together.
          >
          > Thanks in advance! This group is always a tremendous help.
          >
          > Michael

        • michael1312001
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 9:28 AM
            Thanks George. I'll just make it work then. On the bright side, this appears to be one project that is relatively easy and will yield some great, immediate results.

            Happy sailing!

            --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, GC138 <gc138@...> wrote:

            > Sorry Michael - I just notices as I was sending the last reply that you have Enkes in the subject line.
            > Don't have any info specific to Enkes. Usually all the moving parts needed to clean a winch are on the parts that yo have removed already - the pawls and springs - the roller bearing and that's it as far as I know.
            > George #18 Spaghetti
            >

            > In a message dated 04/01/09 01:33:00 Central Daylight Time, michael98277@... writes:
            > I picked up #66 for a song, but she needs lots of TLC. Among many projects, all of her winches are mostly frozen. The two larger winches located toward the middle of the cockpit (primary winches?) are my first focus, so I can get her sailing again.
            >
            > I pulled the main drum assembly off, leaving the base mounted on the boat. It is highly likely that the problem was the gummy, tar-like grease on the drum, as well as the fully greased and stuck pawls. I didn't realize there were rollers within the assembly until I brushed a few loose in a pan of gasoline. So I have the outer assembly all squeaky clean and ready for winch grease, but back on the boat is the base with this large spindle in place. It appears that inside where you'd put the winch handle there is a small hole. I bet there is a certain size Allen screw down in that hole. I simply can't see it. Has anyone taken one of these apart that knows what holds it in place? I'd like to remove the spindle and thoroughly clean out that entire assembly before putting it all back together.
            >
            > Thanks in advance! This group is always a tremendous help.
            >
            > Michael

          • Jeremy Dixon
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2 6:06 AM
              If they are like the winches I had on My Tweety - there is a locking ring at the very top of the winch that goes around where the winch handle enters. You have to look close - but the ring has a tab - lift up that tab gently and the ring will unspiral and you you can remove the winch from the base to clean.

              I use diesel fuel (cheap) or carb cleaner then regrease. Good luck