Boom Tent covers

  • duerrtim
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi all - does anyone have any experience of boom tent boat covers - in
      terms of where to buy, cost, how useful they are to protect the boat
      through the winter (mine is left in the (fresh) water all season).
      Thanks
      Tim
    • GC138

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
          Thanks for the input George....I'm looking for one that covers the
          whole boat (stops at toerail), rather than just a boom tent/cockpit
          awning...figured it should help keep the rain/frost action away from
          the deck...I'm guessing that will make it cost a lot more, but may be
          worthi t int he long run...
          Tim

          --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, GC138 <gc138@...> wrote:

          > Tim - Have not ever bought on but a yahoo search on "boom tents"
          turns up lots of choices. If you're not to fussy, you can make one
          from PVC and a painter's cloth from Home Depot. I did and it worked
          fine. Not as handsome as the 150-200 dollar ones and I had to fuss
          with it to get it right, but it worked and kept the hot summer sun
          out of the cockpit.
          > George #18 Spaghetti
          >

          > In a message dated 10/02/08 12:13:14 Central Daylight Time,
          duerrtim@... writes:
          > Hi all - does anyone have any experience of boom tent boat covers -
          in
          > terms of where to buy, cost, how useful they are to protect the
          boat
          > through the winter (mine is left in the (fresh) water all season).
          > Thanks
          > Tim

        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
            Would putting it on be seasonal---on in the fall off in the spring, or
            do you want a cover you pull off to go sailing.

            HJ

            duerrtim wrote:
            > Thanks for the input George....I'm looking for one that covers the
            > whole boat (stops at toerail), rather than just a boom tent/cockpit
            > awning...figured it should help keep the rain/frost action away from
            > the deck...I'm guessing that will make it cost a lot more, but may be
            > worthi t int he long run...
            > Tim
            >

            > --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, GC138 <gc138@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Tim - Have not ever bought on but a yahoo search on "boom tents"
            >>
            > turns up lots of choices. If you're not to fussy, you can make one
            > from PVC and a painter's cloth from Home Depot. I did and it worked
            > fine. Not as handsome as the 150-200 dollar ones and I had to fuss
            > with it to get it right, but it worked and kept the hot summer sun
            > out of the cockpit.
            >
            >> George #18 Spaghetti
            >>

            >> In a message dated 10/02/08 12:13:14 Central Daylight Time,
            >>
            > duerrtim@... writes:
            >
            >> Hi all - does anyone have any experience of boom tent boat covers -
            >>
            > in
            >
            >> terms of where to buy, cost, how useful they are to protect the
            >>
            > boat
            >
            >> through the winter (mine is left in the (fresh) water all season).
            >> Thanks
            >> Tim

          • Bill Sims
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
              Tim,

              I've had good luck with a cheap blue tarp and bungee cords.

              Bill Sims
              Mandeville, LA
            • duerrtim
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
                It would be seasonal - although I wouldn't want something that takes
                hours to put on/take off as you never know when a nice late Fall or
                Winter day will sneak up on you :-).

                --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

                > Would putting it on be seasonal---on in the fall off in the spring,
                or
                > do you want a cover you pull off to go sailing.
                >
                > HJ
                >
                > duerrtim wrote:
                > > Thanks for the input George....I'm looking for one that covers
                the
                > > whole boat (stops at toerail), rather than just a boom
                tent/cockpit
                > > awning...figured it should help keep the rain/frost action away
                from
                > > the deck...I'm guessing that will make it cost a lot more, but
                may be
                > > worthi t int he long run...
                > > Tim
                > >

                > > --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, GC138 <gc138@> wrote:
                > >
                > >> Tim - Have not ever bought on but a yahoo search on "boom tents"
                > >>
                > > turns up lots of choices. If you're not to fussy, you can make
                one
                > > from PVC and a painter's cloth from Home Depot. I did and it
                worked
                > > fine. Not as handsome as the 150-200 dollar ones and I had to
                fuss
                > > with it to get it right, but it worked and kept the hot summer
                sun
                > > out of the cockpit.
                > >
                > >> George #18 Spaghetti
                > >>

                > >> In a message dated 10/02/08 12:13:14 Central Daylight Time,
                > >>
                > > duerrtim@ writes:
                > >
                > >> Hi all - does anyone have any experience of boom tent boat
                covers -

                > > in
                > >
                > >> terms of where to buy, cost, how useful they are to protect the
                > >>
                > > boat
                > >
                > >> through the winter (mine is left in the (fresh) water all
                season).
                > >> Thanks
                > >> Tim

              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
                  If its just a boom tent then the blue tarp bungee solution is the
                  cheapest. Used all the time where I live (Juneau). If you want a full
                  boat seasonal cover then it is build your own and it will be semi
                  permanent or removable custom cover and it will cost close to what a run
                  down SJ 24 does.

                  HJ