Spinnaker Primer

  • GC138
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
      Group, Let me renew my request of last fall for someone on a rainy day somewhere to sit down and post a primer for spinnaker use on the SJ24. It doesn't have to be the definitive post - just the way you do it.

      Dropping jib and hoisting spinnaker sequence at the windward mark.
      Flying spinnaker, reaching, running.
      Jibing spinnaker.
      Dousing spinnaker, raise jib and rounding mark sequence for a subsequent windward leg.
      Crew positions and duties during the run.

      And anything else you thing of relating.

      Thanks,
      George #18 Spaghetti

    • Alec Pollak
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
        --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, GC138 <gc138@...> wrote:

        > Group, Let me renew my request of last fall for someone on a rainy
        day somewhere to sit down and post a primer for spinnaker use on the
        SJ24. It doesn't have to be the definitive post - just the way you do
        it.

        >An excellent sailing reference book is "Sail Power The Complete
        Guide to Sails and Sail Handling" " by Wallace Ross. In this book
        over 70 pages are devoted to the spinnaker including racing tactics.
        There is also a seperate chapter on "Who does What" with a detailed
        assignment breakdown for a three-man racing crew, that can be used as
        a guide in developing crew responsibilities.

        Smooth sailing
        Alec SJ24 #34

      • bob_watson@belk.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
          Group-
          I would also like to recommend "Sail Power" by Wallace Ross.
          Excellent text on sail handling.

          Bob...ex: Atrocious

          Bob Watson
          Senior Planning Manager, Men's Sportswear
          704.426.6439

          "Alec Pollak"
          <suntoptracker@pe
          oplepc.com> To
          Sent by: SJ-24@yahoogroups.com
          SJ-24@yahoogroups cc
          .com
          Subject
          [SJ-24] Re: Spinnaker Primer
          04/02/2008 01:51
          PM

          Please respond to
          SJ-24@yahoogroups
          .com

          --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, GC138 <gc138@...> wrote:

          > Group, Let me renew my request of last fall for someone on a rainy
          day somewhere to sit down and post a primer for spinnaker use on the
          SJ24. It doesn't have to be the definitive post - just the way you do
          it.

          >An excellent sailing reference book is "Sail Power The Complete
          Guide to Sails and Sail Handling" " by Wallace Ross. In this book
          over 70 pages are devoted to the spinnaker including racing tactics.
          There is also a seperate chapter on "Who does What" with a detailed
          assignment breakdown for a three-man racing crew, that can be used as
          a guide in developing crew responsibilities.

          Smooth sailing
          Alec SJ24 #34

          > Dropping jib and hoisting spinnaker sequence at the windward mark.
          > Flying spinnaker, reaching, running.
          > Jibing spinnaker.
          > Dousing spinnaker, raise jib and rounding mark sequence for a
          subsequent windward leg.
          > Crew positions and duties during the run.
          >
          > And anything else you thing of relating.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > George #18 Spaghetti

        • GC138
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2008
            Alec - Thanks. I've had that book for many years and haven't referenced it in quite a while. First I'll have to get it back from the guy I lent it to - then I'll read up on the spinnaker stuff.
            George #18 Spaghetti

            In a message dated 04/02/08 12:51:33 Central Daylight Time, suntoptracker@... writes:

            --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. com, GC138 <gc138@...> wrote:

            > Group, Let me renew my request of last fall for someone on a rainy
            day somewhere to sit down and post a primer for spinnaker use on the
            SJ24. It doesn't have to be the definitive post - just the way you do
            it.

            >An excellent sailing reference book is "Sail Power The Complete
            Guide to Sails and Sail Handling" " by Wallace Ross. In this book
            over 70 pages are devoted to the spinnaker including racing tactics.
            There is also a seperate chapter on "Who does What" with a detailed
            assignment breakdown for a three-man racing crew, that can be used as
            a guide in developing crew responsibilities.

            Smooth sailing
            Alec SJ24 #34

            > Dropping jib and hoisting spinnaker sequence at the windward mark.
            > Flying spinnaker, reaching, running.
            > Jibing spinnaker.
            > Dousing spinnaker, raise jib and rounding mark sequence for a
            subsequent windward leg.
            > Crew positions and duties during the run.
            >
            > And anything else you thing of relating.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > George #18 Spaghetti

          • Ray Peacock
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 3, 2008
              George

              Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill.  I have written it as accurately as I imagine it.  Hope it makes sense.

              Ray

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
                Ray - The Spinny tutorial is great ! Thanks very much.
                George #18 Spaghetti

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 7, 2008
                  Ray,

                  Thanks for the well thought out lesson on spinnaker handling. We're
                  still trying to improve our technique.

                  Gary

                  --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Peacock" <ray@...> wrote:

                  > George
                  >
                  > Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill. I have
                  written
                  > it as accurately as I imagine it. Hope it makes sense.
                  >
                  > Ray

                  Behalf Of
                  > GC138
                  > Sent: April 1, 2008 11:15 AM
                  > To: sj-24@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [SJ-24] Spinnaker Primer
                  >

                  > Group, Let me renew my request of last fall for someone on a
                  rainy day
                  > somewhere to sit down and post a primer for spinnaker use on the
                  SJ24. It
                  > doesn't have to be the definitive post - just the way you do it.
                  >
                  > Dropping jib and hoisting spinnaker sequence at the windward mark.
                  > Flying spinnaker, reaching, running.
                  > Jibing spinnaker.
                  > Dousing spinnaker, raise jib and rounding mark sequence for a
                  subsequent
                  > windward leg.
                  > Crew positions and duties during the run.
                  >
                  > And anything else you thing of relating.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > George #18 Spaghetti

                  --------
                  > --
                  > Supercharge your AIM. Get the AIM toolbar for your browser.

                • Ray Peacock
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 7, 2008
                    George, Gary

                    Thanks for the comments.  Hope the description helps.

                    My experience on boats other than the SJ24 is that gybing can be easier if you can "dip the pole".  As the boat crosses onto the other tack the nose of the pole is dropped so that it clears inside the fore-stay, a previously rigged duplicate sheet known as a "lazy sheet" becomes the new guy, and the old sheet is released.  The pole is then raised to its previous height on the new windward side of the boat.  In this way the pole stays on the mast and is under control at all times.  The pole needs to be fitted with a fancy outboard end which allows you to clip in the two guys/sheets so that they are ready to use as soon as you gybe.  It requires close coordination by the Bowman and Afterguard, and usually requires another crewman in the cockpit, so that one man controls the pole dip, and one the sheets and guys, while the Bowman dances about in the pulpit as the pole swings through, unclipping the old guy.  When done properly however it is a slick operation and a joy to behold.  If not it tends to lead to raised voices, blood-curdling threats and a strong desire to grovel by the miscreant as the boat travels swiftly in the wrong direction, the spinnaker doing a fair imitation of a flag at the masthead .....

                    Despite that seemingly complicated operation you may be happy to know that it can't be done on the SJ24!   The baby stay stops the pole swinging to the "new" windward side.  I've considered fitting the bottom of the baby stay with a quick-release clip to get it out of the way as the manoeuvre is carried out, but I think it would introduce another complication, that of having to release then restore the backstay tension from the cockpit so that the baby stay could be unclipped and re-clipped after the gybe.  The Bowman has enough to be getting on with without this, and the Helm, who would be the natural crew to do it, must concentrate on steering at this crucial time.  I received copious thanks and free drinks from the crew when I abandoned the idea!

                    Ray

                    Thanks for the well thought out lesson on spinnaker handling. We're
                    still trying to improve our technique.

                    Gary

                    --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. com, "Ray Peacock" <ray@...> wrote:

                    > George
                    >
                    > Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill. I have
                    written
                    > it as accurately as I imagine it. Hope it makes sense.
                    >
                    > Ray

                  • Mark Kanzler
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
                      A properly done end-for-end gybe is so fast that there
                      is no time for trouble. It does help if the helmsman
                      and trimmers know what they are doing.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
                        Here's an instructional video. Pretty decent
                        instruction on setup and gybes.

                        I wasn't impressed with their takedown technique or instruction.

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFUnV2BEwH4

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
                          Oh for those conditions when we're launching!  It never happens when we're racing.
                          I appreciate the video is done for instruction purposes, but one thing we have found is that it is essential that the main is flying before we launch the spinnaker.  Doing so without the main always induces oscillation, and getting the main up when that happens can be a bit hairy.  The main is needed to balance the rig.
                          And yes, the ability to take the spinnaker down onto the fore-deck is only really practical in very light air.  That never happens when we're racing!
                          Ray

                          Here's an instructional video. Pretty decent
                          instruction on setup and gybes.

                          I wasn't impressed with their takedown technique or instruction.

                          --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. com, "Mark Kanzler" <m_kanzler@. ..> wrote:

                          > A properly done end-for-end gybe is so fast that there
                          > is no time for trouble. It does help if the helmsman
                          > and trimmers know what they are doing.

                        • hagar_sails
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
                            Hi All,

                            Can someone post Ray's document in the files section of the group
                            website? I receive the emails in digest format, and the attachment
                            didn't come through.

                            Thanks!
                            Frank

                            Hagar #132, Comox, BC

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
                              I like what's known as a "Mexican Takedown"

                              The way it works is to gybe with the jib up, and use
                              the jib like a slide to bring the spinnaker down.
                              The spinnaker justs slides right down the windward
                              side of the headsail and onto the deck.

                              BTW, when i talk about this... it's stuff I have seen
                              as a bowman with a very experienced crew and skipper,
                              not stuff I have had to do as a leader (skipper).
                              Usually all I have to do is a basic job as a bow man,
                              and the other crew keep an eye on me to identify any
                              mistakes before they become important.

                              I did bow on an SJ-24 only once, and it was a bit
                              different than the boat I was used to... I made
                              a mess of things. Know-how can be learned from
                              books and video - skill only comes with practice.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
                                Frank
                                It's now in the File section
                                Ray

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                  How do you control the spinnaker in high winds when it starts
                                  oscilating back and forth in front of the boat?

                                  Gary

                                  --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Peacock" <ray@...> wrote:

                                  > George
                                  >
                                  > Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill. I have
                                  written
                                  > it as accurately as I imagine it. Hope it makes sense.
                                  >
                                  > Ray

                                • Tom S
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                    Sheet it in tighter,  and get it lower to the bow. Another thing you can do is, if your running straight down wind head off a few degrees and sheet the spinnaker off to the side slightly.

                                    Gary Rust <sj24162@...> wrote:
                                    How do you control the spinnaker in high winds when it starts
                                    oscilating back and forth in front of the boat?

                                    Gary

                                    --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. com, "Ray Peacock" <ray@...> wrote:

                                    > George
                                    >
                                    > Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill. I have
                                    written
                                    > it as accurately as I imagine it. Hope it makes sense.
                                    >
                                    > Ray

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  • R.A. Rowan
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008

                                      You must immediately head the boat up and trim the pole forward. If this is not done immediately and the oscillations increase in amplitude, you will have about three or four oscillations before the boat either broaches (rounds up to the side the pole is on) or death rolls (a violent jibe turning away from the wind).

                                      Rick

                                      How do you control the spinnaker in high winds when it starts
                                      oscilating back and forth in front of the boat?

                                      Gary

                                      --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. com, "Ray Peacock" <ray@...> wrote:

                                      > George
                                      >
                                      > Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill. I have
                                      written
                                      > it as accurately as I imagine it. Hope it makes sense.
                                      >
                                      > Ray

                                    • Tom
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                        The key to good sailing is to stay calm and think things through.
                                        Never panic! If you have control of what your doing, being contious of
                                        your boat, a death role should never be an issue.

                                        --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "R.A. Rowan" <rarowan@...> wrote:

                                        > You must immediately head the boat up and trim the pole forward. If
                                        this is
                                        > not done immediately and the oscillations increase in amplitude, you
                                        will
                                        > have about three or four oscillations before the boat either broaches
                                        > (rounds up to the side the pole is on) or death rolls (a violent jibe
                                        > turning away from the wind).
                                        >

                                        > Rick
                                        >

                                        > _____

                                        Of Gary

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                          Gary:
                                          See "Fly and Trim Spinnaker, Running #1".  Haul the pole down using the pole downhaul and topping lift, and hold the sheet down using the block on the toe rail set amidships.  This is very effective, and when done as soon as oscillations start will prevent a broach.
                                          Ray

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                            Tom
                                            Don't you mean "...head UP a few degrees"?  If you head down you run into the danger of the boom doing the nasty and slamming across - even if you have the traveller sheeted in tight to control it on the leeward side.
                                            Ray

                                            Gary Rust <sj24162@yahoo. com> wrote:

                                            How do you control the spinnaker in high winds when it starts
                                            oscilating back and forth in front of the boat?

                                            Gary

                                            --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. com, "Ray Peacock" <ray@...> wrote:

                                            > George
                                            >
                                            > Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill. I have
                                            written
                                            > it as accurately as I imagine it. Hope it makes sense.
                                            >
                                            > Ray

                                            http://mail. yahoo.com

                                          • R.A. Rowan
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008

                                              Trust me folks, I’ve done this before both on the helm and working the sheet and guy. Using tweakers to bring the sheet and guy to the rails just aft of the mast will reduce the oscillations. So when the wing is blowing and you want to go deep you do that. But once the oscillations start you need to turn slightly toward the pole and ease it forward and the oscillations will stop.

                                              Rick

                                              The key to good sailing is to stay calm and think things through.
                                              Never panic! If you have control of what your doing, being contious of
                                              your boat, a death role should never be an issue.

                                              --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. com, "R.A. Rowan" <rarowan@... > wrote:

                                              > You must immediately head the boat up and trim the pole forward. If
                                              this is
                                              > not done immediately and the oscillations increase in amplitude, you
                                              will
                                              > have about three or four oscillations before the boat either broaches
                                              > (rounds up to the side the pole is on) or death rolls (a violent jibe
                                              > turning away from the wind).
                                              >

                                              > Rick
                                              >

                                              > _____
                                              >
                                              > From: SJ-24@yahoogroups. com
                                              > How do you control the spinnaker in high winds when it starts
                                              > oscilating back and forth in front of the boat?
                                              >
                                              > Gary
                                              >
                                              > --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. <mailto:SJ-24% 40yahoogroups. com>
                                              com, "Ray
                                              > Peacock" <ray@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > George
                                              > >
                                              > > Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill. I have
                                              > written
                                              > > it as accurately as I imagine it. Hope it makes sense.
                                              > >
                                              > > Ray

                                            • Buz Branch
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                                                Hi everyone .It's been awhile.To answer your death roll question ...use your tweekers and pull down the sheet and this will tame the oscillations. also the helmsman can help by anticipating or he can really make things scary if he/she can't get it right .best regards Buz Branch S/V DOUBLOON C&C 29 Durango Co

                                                To: SJ-24@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: sj24162@...
                                                Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:36:48 +0000

                                                How do you control the spinnaker in high winds when it starts
                                                oscilating back and forth in front of the boat?

                                                Gary

                                                --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups. com, "Ray Peacock" <ray@...> wrote:

                                                > George
                                                >
                                                > Attached is the way I think we try to do it on Whipporwill. I have
                                                written
                                                > it as accurately as I imagine it. Hope it makes sense.
                                                >
                                                > Ray

                                              • Dave Brezina
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 12, 2008
                                                  We didn't race Scorpion much with the spinnaker and it was often very
                                                  interesting. Now Scorpion's retired to cruising -- I even bought a
                                                  Chute Scoop and I'm racing a Tartan 10, Ratty. We've got to learn to
                                                  race with the spinnaker -- the T-10 class in Chicago seems a lot like
                                                  the SJ24 class in Seattle, with dozens of boats racing one design.
                                                  So, I put together some animations for Ratty. One of them is hoisting
                                                  the spinnaker, but I also found that rigging all the lines well in
                                                  advance is an advantage. So the first one is Rigging the Spinnaker.
                                                  They are posted on the Internet, although I'm not sure if I can post a
                                                  link here. The domain is: pattmcoprlaw.com
                                                  The file you want to run is Play_Animated_Checklists.htm
                                                  The complete link (if this works here) is:
                                                  http://www.pattmcoprlaw.com/Play_Animated_Checklists.htm

                                                  Dave Brezina
                                                  SJ24 Scorpion
                                                  T10 Ratty