Mast track cover for slugs

  • bhamrandoneer
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2006
      I have ordered a new main with slugs and was wondering if anyone would
      like to reiterate the options for a cover for the mast track feed or
      a "slug stop" to keep the slugs in the track when I drop the sail. Any
      info will be much appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Paul
      Hull #526
    • bob_watson@belk.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2006
        I drilled a hole in the mast, across and just above the slot (where you
        would load the slugs), then used a push button locking pin. Put a lanyard
        on the pin so I would not lose it.

        Bob Watson
        Senior Planning Manager, Men's Sportswear
        704.426.6439

        "bhamrandoneer"
        <pknippel@hotmail To: SJ-24@yahoogroups.com
        .com> cc:
        Sent by: Subject: [SJ-24] Mast track cover for slugs
        SJ-24@yahoogroups
        .com

        05/01/2006 03:27
        PM
        Please respond to
        SJ-24

        I have ordered a new main with slugs and was wondering if anyone would
        like to reiterate the options for a cover for the mast track feed or
        a "slug stop" to keep the slugs in the track when I drop the sail. Any
        info will be much appreciated.

        Thank you,
        Paul
        Hull #526

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • gc138@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2006
          Paul - there is a little devise called a Sail Stop. It is a slug with a knob on it that goes into your mast slot and you move it up and down the groove to where you want it and tighten it up. I always keep a couple in my gadget box. It's also great for holding the boom up in place if you have a sliding gooseneck like I do.
          George #18 Spaghetti
          Sailing Hardware - Davis Sail Track Stop
        • gc138@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2006
            Paul - I should have added that the Sail Stop device will only work if you put it above the slot which may be too high for your purposes - like if you want to put a sail cover on.
            George #18 Spaghetti
          • bob_watson@belk.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2006
              http://www.jergensinc.com/pin_select.aspx?ms=en&style_ID=400&dia=0.375&grip=4.5\

              This link shows the type pin I was referring to. I found mine at a local
              ship chandler.

[...]

            • Tim Marks
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2006
                Hello,
                I made a small door that fills in the side of the mast sail track that is
                missing. This allows the sail to move up and down past the feed slot when
                reefing. I know, presently, real sailers don't reef mainsails ;-) The
                door is made of 1/8" alum. flat bar, about 1-1/4" wide, bent to curve with
                the mast and fill in the missing side of the sail slot. It is attached by
                drilling and tapping #10 machine screws to the side of the mast. Not the
                only way to skin this cat but seems ok to me.
                Fair Winds
                Tim
                >I have ordered a new main with slugs and was wondering if anyone would
                > like to reiterate the options for a cover for the mast track feed or
                > a "slug stop" to keep the slugs in the track when I drop the sail. Any
                > info will be much appreciated.
                >
                > Thank you,
                > Paul
                > Hull #526
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --

              • Alec Pollak
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2006
                  --we had a real nice sail slug, but it found its way overboard when we
                  pulled down on the cunningham. (plunk) Eventually I will build a slot
                  filler to hold the sail slugs in the mast grove. In the meantime, we
                  just use a length of shock cord around the mast. This holds the slugs
                  in the sail slot, but by moving the shock cord half way into the mast
                  opening it allows me to move part of the sail and slugs into mast slot
                  below the mast opening. This works great for reefing, or furling the
                  main on the boom.

                  - In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "bhamrandoneer" <pknippel@...> wrote:

                  > I have ordered a new main with slugs and was wondering if anyone
                  would
                  > like to reiterate the options for a cover for the mast track feed or
                  > a "slug stop" to keep the slugs in the track when I drop the sail.
                  Any
                  > info will be much appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  > Paul
                  > Hull #526

                • summersdawn1
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2006
                    This is exactly what I did. It allows easier reefing (you don't have
                    to pull the pin/remove sail slug to put in the reef), and it also
                    makes a much neater flake when the sail is dropped. It works really
                    great.

                    Of course if you are serious about racing, you probably won't reef,
                    and you probably keep your sails rolled up inside the cabin or at
                    home, so you might prefer a pin or sail slug.

                    Rick
                    Summer's Dawn
                    # 380

                    --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, Tim Marks <pacificcanoebase@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    > I made a small door that fills in the side of the mast sail track
                    that is
                    > missing. This allows the sail to move up and down past the feed
                    slot when
                    > reefing. I know, presently, real sailers don't reef mainsails ;-
                    ) The
                    > door is made of 1/8" alum. flat bar, about 1-1/4" wide, bent to
                    curve with
                    > the mast and fill in the missing side of the sail slot. It is
                    attached by
                    > drilling and tapping #10 machine screws to the side of the mast.
                    Not the
                    > only way to skin this cat but seems ok to me.
                    > Fair Winds
                    > Tim

                    01/05/2006

                  • al v
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2006
                      I have a hole drilled through just above the exit slot
                      that used to have a large cotter pin in it. I thought
                      that might tear the sail so I replaced it with a key
                      ring. Holds the slugs in the track and doesn't snag
                      anything.

                      Al
                      Zeilen #307

                      http://mail.yahoo.com