Re: Sail Slugs?

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      First off - I of course did not mean batten board, I meant the board
      at the top of the main sail(head board?). I talked to SAILRITE
      yesterday. The guy there said the most common cause of my problem is
      that the slugs are undersized and may be worn a little, so when
      raising the mail, the slugs rotate in the slot and the outside foot of
      the slug is trying to enter the slot. He recommended I buy 1/2" slugs
      (15 @ $.50/a piece -item#23308) which I did, and snap-in 7/8" plastic
      shackles ($.60/a piece item#727)

      The guy's theory seems likely because when I took the boat out last
      night, when the sail got stuck, I pulled down on the cord and it would
      free up, then repeat. I also noticed that the slugs I have are not a
      matched set and some look smaller than others. The 1/2" may be too
      big but I will report back. I also bought some teflon lubricant from
      radio shack that I saw recommened on another thread called LUBE GEL.
      I probably won't use it unless I have further problems after the new
      slugs are installed. Thanks Daryl - 1981 hull#1043

    • Daryl
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2006
        The guy from sailrite was correct. My slugs needed replacing. The
        1/2" slugs fit just fine and the plastic shackles worked great and
        went on easily. I did not put on any lubricant. The only problem I
        had was that my main head board has a grommet hole for a shackle and
        slug but the material was too thick for the #727 shackles I bought. I
        ordered a #728 today but have to pay $5.00 mimimum for shipping on a
        $.70 part. I wish I done this a year or two ago. It was 80 here
        yesterday and sailing after sunset was absolutely beautiful.