Simple Self-steering

  • david_kaill
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      I have a SJ/24 that I mostly sail singlehanded. I'd love to rig a
      simple self-steering setup that does a good enough job that I can
      move about the boat for brief periods of time while under sail (with
      no rechargable power I don't want an autopilot, and don't believe I
      want a windvane). The sheet-to-tiller idea seems like a good one,
      especially if I can engage the solution in less time than I will
      actually use it :)

      When I bought the boat, I asked the seller about a metal plate on
      the s'bd gunwale and he said that it was the base for a self-
      steering mechanism that the previous owner had installed (but kept
      the real bits for his next boat). What remains is a metal plate with
      threaded holes, it looks like either a base for some blocks or
      perhaps an arm that connects to the tiller (?) I'm investigating
      that as a first option, since the previous owner must have run the
      same exercise as I am right now, but with no markings I have no idea
      what the solution was.

      Does anyone have any knowledge to share, or recommendation for how
      to arrange for a basic self-steering solution for a small sailboat?
      I've read a few do-it-yourself/product sites on the web but haven't
      seen anything that jumps out as the best option. I also searched
      this list and read several postings describing the touchy nature of
      the SJ/24.

      Many thanks - any help appreciated
      Dave
    • L Hill
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        Hey everyone it has been great these past few years
        gaining so much information and expertise from all of
        you. I have sold Sea Thru the 1977 SJ24 and am moving
        on. Hope that you will welcome Sea Thru's new owners
        if they decide to join this group as they are very
        eager new sailors with a tremendous passion for
        catching the wind. My best to all of you and thanks
        for all of the advice. Sincerely l hill

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • gc138@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
          Dave
          Here's a link I found some time ago for myself to review. It may tell you more than  you ever wanted to know about sheet to tiller steering. The article seems quite complete with a rather elaborate setup that is described on different points of sail by the author. If you don't try this, you should enjoy the read anyway.
          George #18 Spaghetti

        • Mark Kanzler
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2005
            Also:
            http://www.selfsteer.com/windvanes101/index.php

            And...
            http://www.google.com/search?
            hl=en&q=wind+vane+steering&btnG=Google+Search