Re: outboard fuel pump

  • Gary Rust
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2005
      Peter,

      I don't know if there is a fuel pump on that motor. It seems like
      there should be if there is not. I've suspected the same things that
      you mentioned so I guess I'll just start replacing them one at a
      time. I'm going to put my other gas tank on with new gas today.
      Thanks for the help. Gary

      - In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "pjacobs55" <prjacobs@t...> wrote:
      > Oh yeah, and check the fuel filter ... I'm sure it has one of
      > those ...it might be partially plugged.
      >
      > Peter
      > SJ24 #178 'Adios'
      >
      > > --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Rust" <abrasivesspokane@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Has anyone had a fuel pump go bad on an outboard motor? I have
      > > 2002
      > > > Mercury 6HP 4-stroke that seems like it is running out of gas
      but
      > the
      > > > tank is nearly full. I can give the rubber bulb a couple of
      > squezzes
      > > > and give it full throttle and it takes off again. The filter
      was
      > > > changed this spring and I have new gas in the can. The hose is
      > also
      > > > new. This is an intermittent problem. Thanks for any ideas.
      > > >
      > > > Gary "Ilene" #162
    • Mark Kanzler
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2005
        Keeping this short...

        http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/2/8832.shtml?1077799000

        http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=Mercury+6HP+4-stroke+fuel+pump+stalling&btnG=Search

        --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Rust" <abrasivesspokane@y...> wrote:
        > Has anyone had a fuel pump go bad on an outboard motor? I have a 2002
        > Mercury 6HP 4-stroke that seems like it is running out of gas but the
        > tank is nearly full.
      • Dave Brezina
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2005
          It used to happen all the time on my old Johnson 4hp. It was a fairly
          crude "pump", just a little diaphragm. I also had hose clamps fail on
          that motor. Check the whole fuel system.

          Dave Brezina
          Scorpion
          Chicago

          --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Rust" <abrasivesspokane@y...> wrote:
          > Has anyone had a fuel pump go bad on an outboard motor? I have a 2002
          > Mercury 6HP 4-stroke that seems like it is running out of gas but the
          > tank is nearly full. I can give the rubber bulb a couple of squezzes
          > and give it full throttle and it takes off again. The filter was
          > changed this spring and I have new gas in the can. The hose is also
          > new. This is an intermittent problem. Thanks for any ideas.
          >
          > Gary "Ilene" #162
        • Gil Lund
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2005
            Yes that sounds like fuel filter or pump issue.
            All outboards have fuel pumps. Some are mechanical, some are electrical
            and some use a vaccum diaphram pump. I belive the Mercury 6hp 4 stroke
            has a diaphram and this type are by far the least reliable. You can
            replace the pump as a unit or if you are mechanically inclined you can
            just take the pump apart clean the metal parts and change the diaphram.
            It is the only part that needs replacement. On some units the filter is
            a metal screen and part of the pump and you clean it when you take the
            pump apart and just put it back in when you reassemble the pump.
            gil

            --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Rust" <abrasivesspokane@y...> wrote:
            > Has anyone had a fuel pump go bad on an outboard motor? I have a
            2002
            > Mercury 6HP 4-stroke that seems like it is running out of gas but the
            > tank is nearly full. I can give the rubber bulb a couple of squezzes
            > and give it full throttle and it takes off again. The filter was
            > changed this spring and I have new gas in the can. The hose is also
            > new. This is an intermittent problem. Thanks for any ideas.
            >
            > Gary "Ilene" #162
          • Gary Rust
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2005
              I believe my problem is fixed but I'm not sure why. I installed my
              other fuel tank and the problem appears to have been corrected. I
              can feel more gas in the prime bulb and the motor is starting
              easier. The old tank may have a defective air valve. It doesn't
              seem to open or close properly. Again, thanks for the advice. I am
              still curious if my motor has a fuel pump.

              Gary "Ilene"

              --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Brezina" <dbrezina@r...> wrote:
              > It used to happen all the time on my old Johnson 4hp. It was a
              fairly
              > crude "pump", just a little diaphragm. I also had hose clamps fail
              on
              > that motor. Check the whole fuel system.
              >
              > Dave Brezina
              > Scorpion
              > Chicago
              >
              > --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Rust" <abrasivesspokane@y...>
              wrote:
              > > Has anyone had a fuel pump go bad on an outboard motor? I have a
              2002
              > > Mercury 6HP 4-stroke that seems like it is running out of gas but
              the
              > > tank is nearly full. I can give the rubber bulb a couple of
              squezzes
              > > and give it full throttle and it takes off again. The filter was
              > > changed this spring and I have new gas in the can. The hose is
              also
              > > new. This is an intermittent problem. Thanks for any ideas.
              > >
              > > Gary "Ilene" #162
            • Gil Lund
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                That was easy and YES your motor does have a fuel pump.
                gil

                wrote:
                > I believe my problem is fixed but I'm not sure why. I installed my
                > other fuel tank and the problem appears to have been corrected. I
                > can feel more gas in the prime bulb and the motor is starting
                > easier. The old tank may have a defective air valve. It doesn't
                > seem to open or close properly. Again, thanks for the advice. I
                am
                > still curious if my motor has a fuel pump.
                >
                > Gary "Ilene"
                >
                > --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Brezina" <dbrezina@r...> wrote:
                > > It used to happen all the time on my old Johnson 4hp. It was a
                > fairly
                > > crude "pump", just a little diaphragm. I also had hose clamps
                fail
                > on
                > > that motor. Check the whole fuel system.
                > >
                > > Dave Brezina
                > > Scorpion
                > > Chicago
                > >
                > > --- In SJ-24@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Rust" <abrasivesspokane@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > > Has anyone had a fuel pump go bad on an outboard motor? I have
                > 2002
                > > > Mercury 6HP 4-stroke that seems like it is running out of gas
                but
                > the
                > > > tank is nearly full. I can give the rubber bulb a couple of
                > squezzes
                > > > and give it full throttle and it takes off again. The filter
                was
                > > > changed this spring and I have new gas in the can. The hose is
                > also
                > > > new. This is an intermittent problem. Thanks for any ideas.
                > > >
                > > > Gary "Ilene" #162
              • pjacobs55
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2005
                  Thanks for the info, Gil ... Now I have to find out what kind of pump
                  my Yachtwin has ... just in case.

                  Peter
                  SJ24 #178 'Adios'

                • Mark Kanzler
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                    You can buy fuel filters in the lawnmower section of
                    Home Depot for very cheap. If you don't have one on
                    your outboard already, you can add one in the line
                    that goes along the side of the motor from the hose
                    fitting or petcock to the caruretor.