Pine Siskins and Purple Sandpipers

  • cotingas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      February 1, 2009
      Backyard Feeder and Clove Lakes Park

      Today on my feeders, there were 8 Pine Siskins and yesterday that number was higher - they are so active and difficult to count. I have a good sized flock of American Goldfinches (~20), and apparently the Siskins are taking up residence in Grymes Hill.
      The Siskins actually prefer the sunflower hearts - a shelled kernel.
      A small flock of Pine Siskins flew over the Sweet Gum trees near the skating rink at CLP. There are 6 Hooded Mergansers and a female Belted Kingfisher along the horse trail.

      Yesterday, Dave Jordet, Richard Zain-Eldeen and I looked for birds in the pines at Midland Beach, and there were 6 Purple Sandpipers on the rocky jetty just north of the Miller Field border and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.
      H. Fischer 2--1-09

      Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.