Notes from the Island

  • sinaturalist
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 6:33 AM
      7/31/08

      Observers: Seth Wollney and Jarred Sutton
      reporter: Seth Wollney

      Yesterday's adventure took Jarred and I from the Conference House up
      to Great Kills with stops at Wolfe's Pond and Blue Heron. Here are
      just some general notes (not just birds):

      Conference House:

      hackberry emporor (2)
      question mark (1)
      differential grasshopper (1- close to adulthood)
      dragonflies included swamp darner, blue dasher, green darner, and e.
      amberwings

      Wolfe's Pond:

      Dragonfly species richness was good with 7 spp present, nothing too
      crazy though... a family of e. kingbirds was at the foot of Holten
      Ave.

      Blue Heron Park!

      Hummingbird Moths!!! At least 8 indivuduals were seen nectaring from
      the butterflybush around the parking lot, and nature center! No
      bumblebee moths were observed.

      Great Kills:
      Bufflehead remains!
      SB Dowitcher (3)
      s-p plover (30+)
      least sandpiper (20+)
      little blue heron (6+)
      snowy egret (3)
      ruddy turnstone (1)
      common tern (40+)
      black skimmer (3)
      etc

      No good insect to report other than a single 12-spotted skimmer