Re: [SINaturaList] Warbler Mania at Clove Lakes

  • Mike Shanley
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23 10:33 AM
      Just a quick note on Myiarchus species flycatchers:

      Although it is still a bit early for vagrant Myiarchus flycatchers to be in our area, any Myiarchus (i.e. Great-crested) flycatcher seen after the middle of October should be scrutinized and photos obtained if possible.

      Ash-throated Flycatcher; though rare, has become an expected late fall vagrant to the NYC area. Ash-throated Flycatchers, though very close in resemblance to Great Crested Flycatcher, generally prefers open semi-arid habitat with scattered trees, as opposed to the Great Crested which is generally found in more mature woodland situations.

      Phil Brown and myself stumbled upon one at the former Fresh Kills Landfill on November 23rd 2003 (see Kingbird March 2004).

      -Mike Shanley