Re: [SINaturaList] Post-Moth Night update

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2013
      Sorry for the late post, there was a White-rumped Sandpiper at Wolfes Pond a two days ago mixed with the peeps on the sand bar. It wasn't seen today when I stopped by.

      -Mike Shanley

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 25, 2013, at 11:29 PM, "Dave Eib" <david.eib@...> wrote:

      Ed, sorry this is a little late for Moth Night, but I thought you and the attendees might be interested to see the Pandora Sphinx (Eumorpha pandorus) I found on a fence this morning on Forest Ave. Really spectacular moth, just hanging out in the open, probably because it was so cool and cloudy. Curiously, it was in the same spot on my return trip at 7:30 this evening.

      The link below is to a folder in the photos page (Dave's inverts) that includes a few other very cool moths I've found on SI, and one off Island. The Great Leopard Moth was found during Naturefest 2010 at Great Kills. The Tulip Tree Beauty was found June 1st this year in Buck's Hollow. The last is a Prominent moth of the genus Datana that I found on Sunday in the Pine Barrens in NJ. I know, not an SI bug, but amazing anyway. It may be D. ministra, but the Datanas are all so similar that I can't say for sure. It was on the outside of a Wawa. I poked it, wondering what was keeping a dead leaf stuck to the wall, and it flew off and circled me before settling back down.

      Anyway, keep your eyes peeled moth fans. We have plenty of very impressive species around here.

      Have fun bugging,

      - Dave E.