Fw: Long-billed Curlew, Union County

  • Richard Veit
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2013

      Richard R. Veit
      Professor
      Biology Department
      CSI/CUNY
      2800 Victory Boulevard
      Staten Island, NY 10314
      718-982-4144
      Fax 718-982-3852
      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Samuel Galick <sam.galick@...>
      To: NJBIRDS@...
      Sent: Monday, May 6, 2013 10:41 PM
      Subject: Long-billed Curlew, Union County

      This afternoon around 2:00 PM while working at a PSE&G site in the marshes
      of Linden, a familiar whistling call, a 'curlee' came to my attention as it
      became louder and louder and soon a Long-billed Curlew flew by- a large
      shorebird with a long curved beak and cinnamon coloring. It came from the
      south and continued north. I'm not certain of it's presence whether it was
      passing through or is still in the area. That section of Linden is private
      I believe and doesn't allow visitation by birders.

      Unfortunately, birding wasn't my primary objective there, though I always
      keep an open ear with the marsh nearby. I don't have photos and wasn't
      allowed to have my phone handy on site for the task I was doing and left it
      in the car; apologies for this belated report.

      Hopefully it is found nearby and do keep an eye out.

      Good birding,

      Sam

      --
      Sam Galick