Re: Age question. Re: [SINaturaList] Iceland gull - wolfes pond

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
      I'm not sure it was a different bird. I'm wondering about the distance and lighting for me today.

      My perception of the bird's plumage sounds identical to Anthony's.

      Either way it was a beautiful bird.
      I hope it hangs around.

      On Mar 1, 2013, at 8:29 PM, sibirdwatcher@... wrote:

      Hi Dave,

      I think the bird you saw (or probably) is a different bird from the one I saw yesterday afternoon.

      The bird I saw  in very good light yesterday had a yellow bill with a red spot on the lower mandible. The bird was very "clean" and didnt show any darkness on the bill and not even on the body. the back and wings were light grey and the flanks and belly were pure white. Classic profile of an adult. In flight, the birds underwings were pure white as well

      Anthony

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 1, 2013, at 8:18 PM, David <sailbirder@...> wrote:

      Michael and Anthony (and any other observers),

      Assuming I saw the same bird first seen by Mike last week, I wanted to find out and confirm your observations.
      Anthony wrote yesterday that he believed the bird to be an adult.
      I think that lighting was much better during his viewing than mine (overcast today), plus the view from 250+ yds, but despite the appearance of zero mottling, the bill -- 1/2 to 1/3 of it --appeared dark toward the tip.
      This would indicate a 3rd year bird.

      Just curious about your observations and how, specifically, Anthony decided on 'adult' id.

      Thanks.
      Dave

      On Mar 1, 2013, at 5:23 PM, David <sailbirder@...> wrote:

      Holten Ave entrance to beach.
      Looking at Iceland G 200 yds offshore in farthest group
      Dave

      Sent from my Iridium 9505A Satellite Phone

    • Mike Shanley
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
        The bird I had was a pretty typical 2nd winter bird. I posted pics to the Mike Shanley folder.

        -M

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
          Thanks. I didn't realize that.
          Interesting to have a couple of Iceland gulls on the same place.

          Dave