early male Yellow-rumped Warbler

  • cotingas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2012
      Clove Lakes Park
      31 August

      9 A M   Concrete bridge near the "horse" trail.

      A  brightly plumaged male Yellow -rumped Warbler was feeding in a hornbeam tree over a stream in CLP. The bird appeared to me to be a "spring bird" - that is how bright it was.

      There was some molt in the tail and there was an unusual  amount of white suggesting the bird has
      partial leucism.

      As a rule, we don't see YRWAs until late sometimes mid September in the NYC region. What struck me was the fact that the bird is still in alternate plumage and looks like a spring (April) bird.

      Howard Fischer