Rainy Sunday Report

  • sinaturalist
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2008
      Date: 3/16/08
      Observer/reporter: Seth Wollney

      GANNETS! At least 400+ adults gannets were in the "upper" Raritan
      Bay, many were plumage-driving. Some birds were coming within 100m
      from shore at the Conference House. Unfortunately, no phoebes,
      bluebirds, or pine warblers!

      Other highlights....

      GATX/nascar site:
      northern pintail (4-thanx Catherine!)

      Wolfe's Pond:
      rusty blackbirds (3)
      common loon (8+)
      red-throated loon (2)
      great cormorant (25+)

      Mount Loretto:
      NORTHERN SHIRKE! (seems the bird is still hanging around! I first
      saw it in the shrub-line as I stood on the tarmac looking toward the
      road way, then it flew into the trees in the middle of the field!)

      field sparrows (4)
      tree swallows (3)
      wilson's snipe (1)

      Page Ave Beach:
      Iceland gull (1- I believe this is the same bird I saw at Wolfe's
      Pond the other day)
    • sinaturalist
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2008
        Correction: I just noticed that I wrote "plumage-driving" where I
        meant "plunge-diving" in my message from this afternoon about the
        gannets.

        At least 3 american woodcock were calling and displaying this evening
        at Mount Loretto.

        -Seth

        --- In SINaturaList@yahoogroups.com, "sinaturalist"
        <sinaturalist@...> wrote:

        > Date: 3/16/08
        > Observer/reporter: Seth Wollney
        >
        > GANNETS! At least 400+ adults gannets were in the "upper" Raritan
        > Bay, many were plumage-driving. Some birds were coming within 100m
        > from shore at the Conference House. Unfortunately, no phoebes,
        > bluebirds, or pine warblers!
        >

        > Other highlights....
        >

        > GATX/nascar site:
        > northern pintail (4-thanx Catherine!)
        >
        > Wolfe's Pond:
        > rusty blackbirds (3)
        > common loon (8+)
        > red-throated loon (2)
        > great cormorant (25+)
        >

        > Mount Loretto:
        > NORTHERN SHIRKE! (seems the bird is still hanging around! I first
        > saw it in the shrub-line as I stood on the tarmac looking toward
        the
        > road way, then it flew into the trees in the middle of the field!)
        >
        > field sparrows (4)
        > tree swallows (3)
        > wilson's snipe (1)
        >
        > Page Ave Beach:
        > Iceland gull (1- I believe this is the same bird I saw at Wolfe's
        > Pond the other day)

      • sinaturalist
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
          Date: 11/30/08
          Observer/Reporter: Seth Wollney

          Adren Ave:
          lesser black-backed gull (photo posted)

          Miller Field:
          brant (2500 +)
          ring-billed gull (~400)
          herring gull (100+)
          snow geese (1 juv. blue goose, 1 adult snow, 2 juv snow-photo posted)
          killdeer (6)

          Little League Fields at corner of Bedell Ave and Hylan Blvd
          snow goose (1 juv with canada's)