Wolfe's Pond, 10/11

  • Anthony Ciancimino
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
      Wolfe's Pond Park
      5pm-6pm

      Pectoral sandpiper (10)
      White rumped sandpiper (1)
      Western sandpiper (4)
      Semipalmated sandpiper (1)
      Sanderling (1, on the flats w/ the other shorebirds)
      Lesser yellowlegs (2)
      Soliary sandpiper (1, in flooded area neat the picnic tables)
      Semipalmated plover (8)
      Kildeer (10)

      All of the shorebirds except the solitary were concentrated in the area near where the pond had gotten breached on the east side.

      Although the birds were fairly distant, slightly fuzzy pictues of the pecs and other birds are posted at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibirdswildlife/

      Also, a Saltmarsh sharp tailed sparrow in the spartina patch off the bay.

      Approximatley 150 Brant off the bay as well

      -Anthony Ciancimino
    • Isaac Grant
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
        Hi,
        I don't mean to always be the one to correct you, but the birds in the photos are not Pectoral Sandpipers, they are juvenile Dunlin.  Pectoral sandpipers have yellow legs, much shorter bills, a clear and thick breast band streaking, no streaking on the flanks, a white eye line with a contastingly darker cap, a much more rufous wings and back and many other things.  Oddly enough, juvinlle plumaged Dunlin are probably rarer than Pectoral sandpiper.  Dunlins usually molt before they migrate and we therefore infrequently get to see them in this plumage.  A nice find, but not a Pectoral.

        -Isaac

        To: SINaturaList@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
          This 3 pictures was just one bird.. there were definetly at least a few pecs around with the othe shorebirds....

          -Anthony

          --- In SINaturaList@yahoogroups.com, Isaac Grant <hosesbroadbill@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I don't mean to always be the one to correct you, but the birds in the photos are not Pectoral Sandpipers, they are juvenile Dunlin. Pectoral sandpipers have yellow legs, much shorter bills, a clear and thick breast band streaking, no streaking on the flanks, a white eye line with a contastingly darker cap, a much more rufous wings and back and many other things. Oddly enough, juvinlle plumaged Dunlin are probably rarer than Pectoral sandpiper. Dunlins usually molt before they migrate and we therefore infrequently get to see them in this plumage. A nice find, but not a Pectoral.
          >
          > -Isaac
          >

          > To: SINaturaList@yahoogroups.com
          > From: sibirdwatcher@...
          > Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:47:02 +0000
          > Subject: [SINaturaList] Wolfe's Pond, 10/11
          >

          > Wolfe's Pond Park
          > 5pm-6pm
          >
          > Pectoral sandpiper (10)
          > White rumped sandpiper (1)
          > Western sandpiper (4)
          > Semipalmated sandpiper (1)
          > Sanderling (1, on the flats w/ the other shorebirds)
          > Lesser yellowlegs (2)
          > Soliary sandpiper (1, in flooded area neat the picnic tables)
          > Semipalmated plover (8)
          > Kildeer (10)
          >
          > All of the shorebirds except the solitary were concentrated in the area near where the pond had gotten breached on the east side.
          >
          > Although the birds were fairly distant, slightly fuzzy pictues of the pecs and other birds are posted at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibirdswildlife/
          >
          > Also, a Saltmarsh sharp tailed sparrow in the spartina patch off the bay.
          >
          > Approximatley 150 Brant off the bay as well
          >
          > -Anthony Ciancimino

        • Isaac Grant
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
            Well what did they look like.  Because this looks nothing like a Pectoral Sandpiper.  If you identified this as a Pectoral, then what made the others different?

            -Isaac

            To: SINaturaList@yahoogroups.com
            From: sibirdwatcher@...
            Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 01:51:59 +0000
            Subject: [SINaturaList] Re: Wolfe's Pond, 10/11

            This 3 pictures was just one bird.. there were definetly at least a few pecs around with the othe shorebirds....

            -Anthony

            --- In SINaturaList@yahoogroups.com, Isaac Grant <hosesbroadbill@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I don't mean to always be the one to correct you, but the birds in the photos are not Pectoral Sandpipers, they are juvenile Dunlin. Pectoral sandpipers have yellow legs, much shorter bills, a clear and thick breast band streaking, no streaking on the flanks, a white eye line with a contastingly darker cap, a much more rufous wings and back and many other things. Oddly enough, juvinlle plumaged Dunlin are probably rarer than Pectoral sandpiper. Dunlins usually molt before they migrate and we therefore infrequently get to see them in this plumage. A nice find, but not a Pectoral.
            >
            > -Isaac
            >

            > To: SINaturaList@yahoogroups.com
            > From: sibirdwatcher@...
            > Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:47:02 +0000
            > Subject: [SINaturaList] Wolfe's Pond, 10/11
            >

            > Wolfe's Pond Park
            > 5pm-6pm
            >
            > Pectoral sandpiper (10)
            > White rumped sandpiper (1)
            > Western sandpiper (4)
            > Semipalmated sandpiper (1)
            > Sanderling (1, on the flats w/ the other shorebirds)
            > Lesser yellowlegs (2)
            > Soliary sandpiper (1, in flooded area neat the picnic tables)
            > Semipalmated plover (8)
            > Kildeer (10)
            >
            > All of the shorebirds except the solitary were concentrated in the area near where the pond had gotten breached on the east side.
            >
            > Although the birds were fairly distant, slightly fuzzy pictues of the pecs and other birds are posted at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibirdswildlife/
            >
            > Also, a Saltmarsh sharp tailed sparrow in the spartina patch off the bay.
            >
            > Approximatley 150 Brant off the bay as well
            >
            > -Anthony Ciancimino

          • Anthony Ciancimino
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
              Thank you for verifying, Issac. There were definetly 4 pecs around, but I really didn't know what these birds were, so i just tagged them as pecs. I will change the tag on my flickr account. Thanks again.