Friday birding

  • Seth Wollney
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2011
      Date: 9/30/11
      Observers: Seth Wollney, Dave Eib

      Highlights:
      Raptors! seen at Cem. of Res., Mt Lottero and CHP:
      osprey (35+, mostly migrating)
      rt hawk (1)
      sharp-shinned hawk (10+)
      cooper's hawk (4-5)
      Peregrine falcon (4)
      am kestrel (7)
      merlin (1)

      An immature red-headed woodpecker was seen briefly at Conference House Park about half way down the paved road, Satterlee St.

      Seth Wollney
      www.SethWollney.com
      www.flickr.com/photos/sethbirds

    • Dave Eib
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2013
        Observers:
        Seth Wollney
        Dave Eib

        Another fairly slow day, but not entirely without merit. By hitting a variety of locations around the Island we managed to pull out a handful:

        Blue Heron Park-
        Great-crested Flycatcher
        Black & White Warbler
        Wolfes Pond-
        Warbling Vireo
        Net Creek-
        Yellow-crowned Night Heron
        Willowbrook Park-
        Baltimore Oriole
        Eastern Kingbird
        Ovenbird
        Rose-breasted Grosbeak
        N. Rough-winged Swallow (8)
        Solitary Sandpiper
        Least Sandpiper
        Yellow Warbler
        Mount Loretto-
        Bald Eagle

        Also, for any Ode enthusiasts, we found the following species at the North Mt. Loretto/DEC Woodlands:

        Blue Corporal (L.deplanata)-at least 12 individuals
        Common Whitetail (P.lydia)-2
        Fragile Forktail (I.posita)-many

        - Dave
      • Seth Wollney
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18, 2014
          date: 4/18/14
          observers: seth wollney and lisa d.

          Despite the recent movement of cooler area, there were some new birds around the south shore this morning.

          Conference House:
          house wren and bg gnatcatcher were busily calling and foraging

          Mount Loretto:
          white-eyed vireo
          rough-winged swallows
          purple martins (4)
          yellow warbler singing away

          Blue Heron Park:
          pine warbler
          yellow-crowned nightheron (at Butterfly Pond of all places, possibly looking for a nesting tree in the area??)

          Seth Wollney
          Doctoral Student - Level 1
          Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Behavior
          The Graduate Center, CUNY
          seth@...

          Twitter @SethWSINY  ;  Tumblr @BirdsIC
          www.flickr.com/photos/sethbirds