High Rock highlights including Gray-cheeked Thrush and SCTA

  • cotingas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2011
      Date:  4 June 2011
      High Rock park and the Camp Pouch property.
      POPOW walk

      A male Scarlet Tanager was in full song from 7:45 A M through 10:20 in the ravine near the Gretta Moulton trail close to the parking lot. The bird is an adult male and appears to frequent this area and does not move very far from the oaks between the parking lot and swamp. This is the third, early June sighting of a bird here.

          A vocal Acadian Flycatcher was also found in this part of the park and another was heard singing near Hourglass Pond. Also, Eastern Wood Peewees (3) and Great  crested Flycatchers (4) were near the swamp and pond.

      The highlight was a late Gray-cheeked Thrush found by "eagle eyes" Anthony Ciancimino. The thrush was on a trail near the former headquarters of the Urban Park rangers.
      We observed the bird for a while until a Wood Thrush  chased it off.

      H. Fischer

    • MichaelS
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
        Maybe someone could shed some more light on the current breeding status of Scarlet Tanager on Staten Island. I know that they have nested on the island in years past. I have seen Jack Bairds pictures of the pair that nested on his property back in the early 90's (?).
        Are they still annual on SI? I have only encountered them during migration.

        Thanks.

        -Mike Shanley

        --- In SINaturaList@yahoogroups.com, cotingas@... wrote:

        > Date: 4 June 2011
        > High Rock park and the Camp Pouch property.
        > POPOW walk
        >
        > A male Scarlet Tanager was in full song from 7:45 A M through 10:20 in the
        > ravine near the Gretta Moulton trail close to the parking lot. The bird is
        > an adult male and appears to frequent this area and does not move very far
        > from the oaks between the parking lot and swamp. This is the third, early
        > June sighting of a bird here.
        >
        > A vocal Acadian Flycatcher was also found in this part of the park and
        > another was heard singing near Hourglass Pond. Also, Eastern Wood Peewees
        > (3) and Great crested Flycatchers (4) were near the swamp and pond.
        >
        > The highlight was a late Gray-cheeked Thrush found by "eagle eyes" Anthony
        > Ciancimino. The thrush was on a trail near the former headquarters of the
        > Urban Park rangers.
        > We observed the bird for a while until a Wood Thrush chased it off.
        >
        > H. Fischer

      • Ben Cacace
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
          Mike,

          The "The Second Atlas of Breeding Birds in New York State" published in 2008 using 2000-2005 data shows 2 blocks on Staten Island showing Scarlet Tanager. The southernmost tip of the island & a block in the center of the island show the breeding status as "Possible" and "Probable" respectively. No "Confirmed" blocks on Staten Island.

          Ben Cacace
          Manhattan, NYC
          @NYCbirder

          On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:03 PM, MichaelS <mshanley@...> wrote:

          Maybe someone could shed some more light on the current breeding status of Scarlet Tanager on Staten Island. I know that they have nested on the island in years past. I have seen Jack Bairds pictures of the pair that nested on his property back in the early 90's (?).
          Are they still annual on SI? I have only encountered them during migration.

        • tom
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2011
            We (myself and others who have helped with banding in buck's hollow) have had singing male scta's into late June over the course of banding in Buck's (1997-present). I've found that once June comes along they sing very early in the morning, and tend to become much less vocal within an hour-hour and a half after sunrise. On several occassions (I'll look back at our records since we record these things) we had both males and females (usually just one pair) into June, and on one occassion I remember watching a male and female flying onto the same branch over the course of a few weeks, I assumed they had a nest obscured by foliage.

            On another note, we've had Ovenbird singing into the third week of June (not recently though...going back to about 2006-08). THese birds would sing just prior to sunrise, and once the sun came up we would not hear them again.

            Over the past 6 years we've had singing acadian flycatcher in bucks, and have had several recaptures of birds we've banded. Males and females have been in breeding condition (swollen cloaca's on males, and brood patches on females). We don't band many, since they tend to stay higher in the canopy, but we can certainly confirm they are breeding in buck's.