Sunday Report

  • sinaturalist
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2008
      Date: 2/9/08
      Report: Seth Wollney

      I had the good fortune to be with the visiting birders on the
      Brooklyn Birding Club's field trip when they found some good birds!
      Starting the day around 8am at Mt. Loretto, the group easily found
      the Northern Shrike at Mt. Loretto by simply walking 300 feet up the
      road from the parking area. The bird was seen in perching on a bush
      in the middle of the field to the right(west) of the road. It would
      hop to the ground and back to the top of the bush.

      After taking a break to lead a Nature Section walk at the Conference
      House, where the highlights were a fox sparrow and great cormorants,
      I rejoined the BBC group at the Blue Heron Nature Center around
      11:45am. When I arrived, Shane Blogdett pointed out 2 Common Redpoll
      at the feeders. At least one bird remain until 2:15pm.
      Unfortunately, a sharpie was hunting in the area, and occasionally
      perching in the feeder area until I left around 3:30. An immature
      Chipping Sparrow was also at the feeders, and first found by the BBC
      group.
    • sinaturalist
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
        Date: 3/2/08
        Observers: Seth Wollney, Dave Klauber, Seth Ausubel
        Reporting: Seth Wollney

        Here's a list of highlights from about 7 hours of birding.

        Great Kills (w/Tom Dulski)
        -iceland gull (1st year bird, seen flying over bathhouse)
        -brown thrasher (Crooke's Point)
        -filed sparrow (at least 10)
        -yellow-rumped warbler (~350)
        -perigrine falcon

        Arden Ave
        -Lesser black-backed gull (same 3rd year individual that has been
        around since December!)

        Wolfe's Pond
        -Waterfowl continue (inc. lesser scaup & common mergansers)
        -northern gannet (1 imm. seen pretty far off shore)
        -lesser black-backed gull (1st year bird, flying & sitting on water
        about 200' off shore)

        Page Ave.
        -red-shouldered hawk
      • cicadaman53
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2011
          2/6/11
          Great Kills Park
          11:30am-12:30pm

          Peat beds to Oakwood:

          Ruddy turnstone (7)
          Killdeer (1)

          Red-throated loon
          Horned grebe

          Mallard
          Black duck
          Gadwall

          Common goldeneye
          Bufflehead
          Red-breasted merganser

          What appeared to be a raft of scaup, fairly far out, maybe about 100 birds.

          Note: Most of parking lot was not plowed.

          No grass exposed by playground, hence no horned larks, etc.

          Miller Field:

          Small plowed strip of grass/mud/water/ice exposed.
          Horned lark (7)
          Was hoping for the longspur, but no go.

          Ed & Zach J.
        • cicadaman53
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 13, 2014

            A little late, but anyway...

            1/1214

            Fort Wadsworth/South Beach

            Common loon

            Red-throated loon

            Horned grebe

            Great cormorant

            Double-crested  cormorant

            Gadwall

            Black duck

            American wigeon

            Greater scaup (about 300 under bridge, another 100 by pilings)

            C. goldeneye

            Long-tailed duck

            Red-breasted merganser

            Midland Beach-Miller Field area

            Large flocks of Canada geese & brant on Miller Field

            No horned lark or associates

            Purple sandpiper (4 on jetty)

            Checked pines, but there was no small bird activity of any kind.

            Ed