St. George Water front

  • Seth Wollney
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2011
      Date: 4/1/1811
      Observers: Ed Johnson and Seth Wollney

      Ed and I decided to take a break from the hustle-bustle of the Museum world for a rainy walk along the St. George Waterfront with some very interesting sighting.

      The usual suspects were found within the piling just east of the ferry terminal, namely horned grebes, red-breasted merganser, greater scaup and a lone coot. Ed pointed out a drake duck about half away across the bay which we first thought was a long-tailed ducks, but after getting the scope on the bird we noted that it had a completely white head with a black crown and between the white head and breast there was a well demarcated black necklace. As the duck came closer it was obviously a Labrador duck. After getting our fill of this wonderful drake, we started to be back to the museum. Along the way we stopped on the western side of the ferry terminal in hopes of a redhead that used to spend the winter in this area. Unfortunately, we didn't find the redhead, but there was a great auk and 3 Brunnich's murre sitting on the rocks at Robin's Reef Lighthouse. When a peregrine came flying by the auk slipped into the safety of surf, but 1 of the Brunnich's murre was picked off. After witnessing this attack we decided it was time to get back to work. We were greeted by a flock of passenger pigeons flying over the SI Yankee Stadium. The red breast of this large pigeons is truly an amazement! This species seems to be partial to manicured AstroTurf of the baseball fields. Finally, once we reached the corner of Richmond Terr and Wall St. we could hear the cackling and screeching from the colony of Carolina parakeets that have been nesting on the roof of the apartment building across from the museum court yard. Oddly enough, St. George was absent of all house sparrows, starling, and rock pigeons making the the search for our exalted and extinct species that much easier in the rain.

      Seth Wollney
      www.SethWollney.com
      www.flickr.com/photos/sethbirds

      This fictional account has been brought to you as an April Fool's Day presentation