Bird Pit Stop Celebration

  • SINaturaList
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2010
      Bird Pit Stop at Clay Pits
      Saturday, May 15, 2010, 6am-5pm
      Clay Pit Interpretive Center
      2351 Veteran's Rd West

      Celebrate our fine, feathered friends. Join Clay Pit Ponds and Museum staff in understanding International Migratory Bird Day, a worldwide awareness event of migratory birds. Learn about why Clay Pit Ponds serves as the "pit stop" for so many migratory bird species. Join us on guide bird-watching hikes, learn the basics of binoculars and field guides, opportunities to see and touch live captive birds, hear and observe wild birds. There will be games and bird crafts for children.

      Schedule of Events:

      6:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. The Big Sit at Sharrotts Pond Observation Deck

      9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Professional Bird Bander demonstration- opportunities to see birds up close!

      9:30 a.m.- Migration Walk with Ed Johnson, SI Museum

      10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Bird Adaptations - at the Interpretive Center - All ages.

      1:00-2:00 p.m. Bird Photography presentation with Jarred Sutton

      12:00-4:00 p.m. Beginning Birders - Games, crafts, and identification tips and tricks

      3:00-3:45 p.m. Save the Albatross - a presentation by Seth Wollney, SI Museum

      4:00 p.m. Children's Bird hike

      Call Claire at (718) 605-3970 ext 201 for more information