Staten Island, Sun. 28-Feb-2010 incl. LBBB & RT nest

  • Ben Cacace
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
      Date: Sunday, 28 February 2010 (11:30a-5:15p)
      Location: Silver Lake Park, Clove Lakes Park & Eltingville shore
      Observers: Eve Levine, Ben Cacace
      Reported by: Ben Cacace

      Weather for 28-Feb in Newark, NJ (10:51a-4:51p) < http://tinyurl.com/y8nj9vz >:
      - Conditions: Mostly Cloudy
      - Temperature: 37.0 to 39.9 F (+2.8 to +4.4 C)
      - Wind direction: Calm to northerly
      - Wind speed: 3-10 mph (no gusts reported)

      If there is a more updated checklist for any of the lists I use please let me know and I'll send a self addressed stamped envelope for an updated one. I haven't seen any newer versions online based on a search within the past year. Also, if you have the expertise to help work on updating a list in your local community please contact a checklist compiler and offer your services. This would be appreciated by many. Community service is good thing and sometimes is the only way certain things get done. A list in taxonomic order (as usual) follows the abundance category groupings.

      An adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was resting on the ice towards the north end of Silver Lake reservoir north of the divide. Streaking on the head was extensive. Based on mantle color this was an adult. The bill was all yellow with a red gonys spot and a small dark spot above it on the upper bill. The tail wasn't seen well but the legs were & were not bright yellow but looked yellowish in the feet and a light flesh color along the tarsus and tibia similar to a juvenile bird.

      Around Clove Lakes Park a pair of adult RED-TAILED HAWKS were spotted. Both were carrying nesting material to a nest. They were seen mating. Hope this is a successful nesting season for them.

      ** Total species - 33 **

      Abundance categories below from 'The Birds of Staten Island' checklist last updated in 2000. Abundance categories below for 'Winter'.

      Not listed for Winter [1 spp]:
      - Turkey Vulture - 2 over Silver Lake Park heading N

      'Rare' seen every 2-5 years [3 spp]:
      - Lesser Black-backed Gull - 1 adult on ice at N end of Silver Lake Reservoir
      - Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1 in Clove Lakes Park
      - Boat-tailed Grackle - 1 @ bus stop along Hylan Blvd in Eltingville

      'Occasional' seen a few times per season [1 spp]:
      - Red-throated Loon - 1 off Crooke's Point from Oceanic Ave.

      'Uncommon' present but may not be seen [5 spp]:
      - Hooded Merganser - 3+ in Clove Lakes Park incl. 1 male & 2 females
      - Great Cormorant - 2 from Oceanic Ave. in Eltingville
      - Great Blue Heron - 1 in Clove Lakes Park moving to S end
      - American Robin - 1 @ bus stop along Hylan Blvd in Eltingville
      - Common Grackle - 1 in Eltingville

      'Common' certain in proper habitat [6 spp]:
      - Common Goldeneye - 300+ off Eltingville from Mayberry Promenade
      - Red-breasted Merganser - 12+ off Eltingville from Mayberry Promenade
      - Horned Grebe - 1+ off Eltingville from Mayberry Promenade
      - Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2+ in Clove Lakes Park
      - Northern Mockingbird - 7+ incl. 5+ in Cloves Lakes Park
      - House Finch - 6+ off Eltingville from Mayberry Promenade

      'Abundant' sure to see [17 spp]:
      - Brant - 24+ off Eltingville from Mayberry Promenade
      - Canada Goose - 150+ S of Silver Lake reservoir
      - American Black Duck - 2+ off Eltingville from Mayberry Promenade
      - Mallard - 150+ incl. 30+ on Silver Lake Reservoir & 75+ in Clove Lakes Park
      - Bufflehead - 100+ off Eltingville from Mayberry Promenade
      - Red-tailed Hawk - 2 adults building nest near Clove Lakes Park
      - Ring-billed Gull - 400+ on Silver Lake reservoir
      - Herring Gull - 24+ on Silver Lake reservoir
      - Great Black-backed Gull - 12+ on Silver Lake reservoir
      - Rock Pigeon - 24+
      - Mourning Dove - 6+
      - American Crow - 4+ from Silver Lake Park
      - European Starling - 12+
      - Song Sparrow - 6+ in Eltingville from Mayberry Promenade
      - White-throated Sparrow - 6+
      - Northern Cardinal - 12+
      - House Sparrow - 12+

      Taxonomic order:

[...]

    • MichaelS
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
        There was a Turkey Vulture by the mall yesterday along w/ 15 American Crows. A Red Shouldered Hawk has been harassing my feeder birds for the past 3 days.

        -M

        --
        Michael J. Shanley
        Exhibits & Operations Manager