Re: [SINaturaList] Fwd: (no subject)

  • CicadaMan1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2009
      Joe,

      Ok, now comes my second guess. Given the sandy habitat, and the sand thrown out around the opening, it could be a species of sand wasp, various species of which provision their nests with spiders, grasshoppers, caterpillars, etc (much like the more familiar cicada-killer). I found a number of similar appearing holes in a sandy ballfield in Travis this summer. I just don't know if they dig their holes straight down like that; I picture them digging in at an angle. Let us know what you find if you dig one up.

      Ed