PA - Owner Blames Cat's Death On Penn Hills Groomer

  • Maureen K
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2010
      Forwarded message - for info, please visit
      http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/25658417/detail.html

      PA - Owner Blames Cat's Death On Penn Hills Groomer

      Woman Took Cat To Pretty Pet Grooming To Remove Mat In Fur
      Nov. 6, 2010

      PENN HILLS, Pa. -- An injured cat had to be euthanized and
      the owner said a Penn Hill pet groomer is to blame.

      Darlene Shook rescued "Morgan" the cat 14 years ago, before
      she even met her husband.

      Shook said she noticed that Morgan's hair was matted one day
      recently, so she made an appointment to get him groomed last
      Monday.

      "I took him just to get groomed and he came out and he died,"
      Shook said.

      Shook's husband said it took him 45 minutes to get Morgan inside
      a cardboard box and bring him to Pretty Pet Grooming in Penn Hills.
      The cat had never been groomed before.

      Both Shook and groomer Christine Brown agree the animal was
      aggressive. They said he was even more aggressive after Brown
      cut off the inch-and-a-quarter-thick section of matted hair
      from his back.

      "After I got that off, then I started trying to get to his belly," Brown
      said. "He became very agitated, very angry."

      Morgan ended up clawing Brown and biting her, she said.

      Shook doesn't have the cat's rabies paperwork. Her husband picked
      him up from the groomer and both Brown and Shook noticed the
      cat was acting strangely.

      "His back paws were not working at all," Shook said. "He was not
      moving. He was using his front paws, his head."

      Brown said she believes that something was wrong with the cat
      before he was brought in.

      "That mat is so thick, it could have acted as a splint," she said.

      On Tuesday, Shook took the cat to a veterinarian, who took some
      X-rays, which showed that Morgan had six broken ribs, a fractured
      pelvis and a punctured lung. Shook said she took him to an animal
      hospital but couldn't afford to save him, so she had him put down.

      Days later, Shook had to dig his body up so his brain could be
      examined to determine if he had rabies, she said.

      "I dearly didn't want him to go like this," she said. "There was
      nothing wrong with him. I would have invested everything I could
      to save him."

      Brown paid for the first veterinarian bill, but not the rest because
      she said she knows she didn't cause the injuries.

      "I honestly wish I were in a place where I could go to Darlene and
      I could hold her and hug her and we could try to figure out what
      happened together," Brown said. "I wish I could look her in her
      face and tell her I never, ever hurt Morgan."

      Both sides will meet again before a magistrate judge in Penn Hills
      in December.

      Copyright 2010 by ThePittsburghChannel. All rights reserved.